How to bend it...

nikhil

i have downloaded from the same link and have installed it...but still it wasnt working...anyways its fine...u have taken alot of trouble for me thanks anyways.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nikhil

• JD Mather

• Hopinc

• Mike_Taylor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Nikhil,

Have you watched the video on the same link? It's a bit quick going through, but it shows the alternative ways of recognising features, i.e. automatic and manual.

When you import and .igs, .sat or .stp file it should come up with "Do you want to reconise features" - when you hit "Yes" nothing will happen until you select the method you want to use from the menu to the left-hand side of the big green arrow at the top of the screen. As you can see (hopefully) there are quiet a few options to filter out what you may not require. Normally, "Automatic" works OK, but if there are difficulties you may have to resort to "Manual" selection of features, or in the worst case, recover what you can and repair the model afterwards.

It's not perfect but it's a lot better than having nothing at all.

Dave

BTW- JD, did you not see my post asking if you could supply me with an example of a modified "thread.xls" document?

I saw it, but was not interested. I don't have an unlimited amount of time. This topic has been covered many times on another forum. As it doesn't effect my work.... ....in any case we are getting this thread too muddied up with other topics.

Re you demonstration - Question, why have you not just modelled half of the chassis and mirrored it with a completed corner. In that way you only have to apply corner treatments once?

I thought about that, after I had started, but given the OP is a beginner it might be easier to work from an overall envelope size of the part. In any case now he will get extra experience applying corner treatments. :lol: Part of my problem is I am trying to remember what would work in 2008, I think I would do differently in 2011version.

OK JD -

I saw it, but was not interested. I don't have an unlimited amount of time.
Well excuse me! None of use have unlimited time, but at least I know where you are coming from now. Had I seen the other CAD forums posts you mentioned I would not have been asking for your help -that won't happen again rest assured.

At the least I would have thought it polite to respond to my post, possibly just with a link instead of just blandly ignoring it.

Dave

hi JD i hope u have seen my part file and i hope i have done excatly as u told me...should i be using flange option on the back side of the part or sumthing else.

Now create a Flange on the back edge as shown (I always pick the outer edge for consistency). Your dialog box in earlier release might look a bit different.

We could change the Bend radius rather than keep dividing by 2, but for now lets leave the defaults alone and do the division.

I am trying to do this in a way that would work in 2008, we will have to adjust the Contoured Flange1 distance, but we can hold that off till later.

Today starts my busy time of the year so my instructions will be posted only as I have time.

Flange.jpg

The next step is a little tricky, but for the corner we need to extend the flanges.

I pick the back edge first.

You can use whatever corner style you want - weld or tear results in a tight corner.

Repeat for other side.

Corner Seam.jpg

hi JD i am really very thankful to you for your time and help....i have done as you have asked and attaching the modified part file here...pls check it.

i know you must be very busy with your work and hence i would want you to give me next 5-6 steps or more at a same time so that even i get time to work on it and even your time wont be wasted....i really appreciate what your doing for me.

you can give the rest of steps whenever you get time....thanks once again

Part1.zip

....i have done as you have asked and attaching the modified part file here...pls check it.

Examine your solution more closely. The back flange should extend out the outer edge of the sides. On one side it is correct, on the other side incorrect. Watch your order of selection, or you can flip in the dialog box.

i have made the necessary corrections now both the corners are of same type....thanks alot or i would have going on doing the other part with the same mistake....i am attaching the same file again.

Part1.zip

i have made the necessary corrections ...

Did you attach the updated file - doesn't look any different to me?

I'll assume you do have it corrected. I am trying to use techniques that would work in 2008. Not sure if this is a limitation of 2008 or something you have done differently - but notice the transition of this bend in my model vs your model. (actually if I were doing entirely with 2011 techniques there is even a better way than I am using for these tutorials)

Corner.jpg

Create a new sketch on the front face of the back flange as shown in attached.

Project Geometry the edges highlighted in red.

Sketch2.png

Create a Flange selecting the edge shown. Expand the dialog box and set offset distances.

Now mirror both the flange we just created and the cut to the other side using the YZ plane as the mirror plane.

New Flange.png

Now create one of the top flanges as shown with an offset on only one end. Repeat on other side. (Don't mirror, we could have created one entire side and then mirrored Body, but since we didn't.....)

1st top flange.jpg

Create the back top flange with an offset on each side. Where did I come up with the number 26? This number is somewhat irrelevant as long as it is greater than the side flanges. I want to be able to edit the side flange distances without causing an intersection. Often times in a case like this where I know a range of similar parts will be made I will initially make that flange very short - say 10mm. The next step will take care of the true length.

Back top Flange.jpg

Now add the mitered Corner Seams. (I have already done left side in attached image.)

There is way to create a more aesthetically pleasing corner in 2011, but it takes a bit of trickery, and since you don't have 2011....

When I come back we will look at the cooling vent cuts. Our goal will be to use Feature Patterns rather than Sketch Patterns.

Corner Seam.jpg

Hi JD i"ll there's a good new....well i finally got autodesk inventor professional 2011....now u wont have to worry about my previous version....i just received the new version and installing it..now i guess u wont be having much trouble in teaching me....i"ll put the new file part file by tommrw

Before you install the new software - turn off any anti-virus services during the install and disable User Access Control (UAC) if running Vista or Windows 7.