Bend vs Fold

farrous13

....but wait!! Your part can only be square...

So here is another example.

Notice in this part I used the sketch for the loft rather than the part face. I consider this to be a more robust technique.

Also consider whether you should thicken towards the inside or the outside - how does the piece interact with mating parts. Frequently the sheet metal is going around something of known dimensions so you use those dimensions and thicken towards the outside. Don't forget to make allowances for manufacturing tolerances - we can't make exact parts.

Tray 2.zip

Edited by JD Mather

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sodapop808

• JD Mather

• Hopinc

• farrous13

thicken instead of a shell. Is there a reason for this?

Thicken always returns side cuts perpendicular to face in flat pattern. The same cannot always be said for Shell (not to say that Shell should never be used for sheet metal).

I work for a company that makes cladding for architectural features... This will be a panel that has the "look" that the architect is going for. We typically make flat panels, which for our current needs, only requires autocad to stretch height and length. We would really like to start making stuff like this that is outside the box, which is why I am trying to learn as much as possible with Inventor.