iPhone Apps for CAD work

the_phil

Been browsing through the AppStore and came accross a few which apparently view dwg and dxf files.

Has anyone/does anyone use any of these, what do you make of them and which is the most AutoCAD-like?

I want to get one, it looks handy to have on site when last minute changes are made, may even speed up the whole process of change.

They're way over the 59p mark so need some decent advice as to which one is actually worth while installing.

Cheers

the_phil

Never seen one, dont know how useful it would be.

If you are going on site you usually take the drawings with you, so what do you gain by having a tiny copy of them on your phone?

I doubt if you will be able to alter anything over the phone it would just be too small; now an ipad maybe? But then why not just take a laptop if you want to change drawings on site?

You might want to take a look at this thread: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?39917-Dxf-on-iPhone. It's a little old, but maybe still relevant? Although I do agree with Nukecad. If you're going out to the job site, you should probably have a paper copy of your plans, or a laptop. I couldn't imagine trying to view a full set of working drawings on a tiny little screen.:bloodshot:

My working drawings don't necessarily have to be massive, i have no problem viewing a tiny screen for what would be a small area to look at (i'm not building skyscrapers)

I obviously use paper but how do I email a piece of paper back to the office to get amended and get sent back out to say, building control the same day?

I haven't got CAD on a Laptop.

I'll check out the thread CAD64

Cheers

• 2 months later...

I know that this is an old post but as I am looking for an new phone at the moment I thought I would share these that I came across-

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/autocad-ws/id393149734?mt=8

Dwg editor for your iphone.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/drawvis-free/id335586658?mt=8

Dxf viewer.

There are probably a lot more out there by now.

I have the Autocad WS app for the iphone. To be honest though it is utter garbage. I can see usage for it but only in the most pointless, show off my iphone kind of way.

I did on the other hand find another app that allows you to take pictures and add dimensions to the photo's. This was extremely handy when I was out on site and there was a cock-up.

My measures its called.