plotting to a scale

i dont know if iam being thick?!!? i have done my drawing at 1:1 in model space created my layout and plot scale set it to scale i want to create the print at but when printed the scale factor doesnt affect the printed drawing only the ammount that is printed on the paper!

If you are printing from a layout set the plot scale to 1:1. AutoCAD will take care of what's inside your viewport depending on its scale.

AutoCAD 2007 I see. You should have the VIEWPORTS toolbar on your screen. Then it is just a matter of using the Viewport Scale Control drop-down menu to pick the scale you want to assign to your viewport. After having done so, click on your viewport frame, then right-click and on the flyout menu find and highlight Display Locked. Set this option to Yes. This will ensure that if you do any zooming or panning within your viewport that the scale you have previously set is not changed inadvertently. OK?

You are plotting from a layout. Plot scale should be 1:1 as I previously stated. If you were plotting from model space then we would be setting a different scale altogether.

This may seem like a silly point, however I can't find the viewport scale on my toolbar. I assume that it should be on the bottom right toolbar. How do I switch it on?

Thanks

The drop-down scale menu is located on the right end of the Viewports toolbar. I believe you have to have a viewport selected otherwise I don't think you can access it.