Virtualizing AutoCAD?

uhcafigdc

Does anyone have experience virtualizing AutoCAD workstations?

We have ~10 copies of various versions of AutoCAD, including AutoCAD LT 2006 and AutoCAD ADT 2007. I think it would be nice to install each of them in virtual machine guests on a super computer so that they can be accessed from thin workstations via VRDP or VNC (see: Sun's VirtualBox).

What are the issues with this? Obviously there needs to be enough CPU and RAM on the host computer, but what about AutoCAD's video card needs? Do you think I could serve ~10 simultaneous instances of AutoCAD using a computer with a sweet CPU and video card?

We run a network here with thin clients. 1000+ computers, some pc's some terminals

If your as old as me then you would know about dumb terminals, the industry went away from terminals with the advent of the PC but we are now seeing a return back to the old ways, from the IT point of view its the way to go one update =1000 users updated instantly.

You need to direct your question to Autodesk and ask what network platforms are supported.