Drawing asks for missing .shx file

uhcafigdc

An AutoCAD 2004 drawing asks for a missing .shx file every time it opens.

I read that I could use the `linetype` command, and delete any of the line types that are referencing the missing .shx file.

In the linetype window, however, I don't see an obvious indication that any of these are referencing the file: http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6046/screenshot8192010123219.jpg

Any ideas?

AutoCAD could be looking for a shape file associated with a custom linetype.

Looking at the linetype window, how can I tell which is referencing the missing shape file? I linked to a screenshot in the OP.

Sorry but I am unable to view your screenshot on the system I am using at the moment.

Update.

Another system...another look and yes, I now see what you are referring to (BALL_0-50_0-50). The linetype looks to be quite ordinary (much like a normal Dashed linetype) so I am going to guess AutoCAD is not looking for a shape file. The shx file type can also be for a font file. Can you post the exact message word for word?

Just wondering if perhaps you have tried Purging the drawing?

Edited by ReMark

Going by the linetype names, your issue is with the ones that have several numbers in the names and no descriptions. Those are nonstandard linetypes that don't appear in any of the linetype definition files (.LIN) that your system knows about. You have four main choices: find the missing .SHX files (start with the person who gave you the drawing); redefine layers etc. that reference those linetypes so that they reference similar system linetypes; create new custom linetypes in your ACAD.LIN file that look like those linetypes and redefine as above; and ignore the issue.

It's like this. The drawing contains the definitions for those linetypes, but you can't easily get them out. You can transfer them to other drawings using Design Center, or just by cutting and pasting something with those linetypes, but that only transfers the same issue to a new drawing, i.e. the .SHX request window when you open. It's very frustrating. There are AutoLISP routines that purport to extract linetypes, but I've never found one that works as advertised.

Even more frustrating, AutoCAD saves linetype definitions in each drawing, but it doesn't save shape definitions. In case you're wondering, a .SHX file contains SHapes. A simple linetype can have dots, dashes, and spaces, while a complex linetype can have shapes too.