• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• belexes

• ASMI

• darkman257

ASMI:

While I'm sure the two LISP programs work beautifully it begs the question, "Isn't that a bit over-the-top?"

How about drawing the I.D. and O.D. in plan view, use the Region and Subtract (Solids) command, then changing the UCS and drawing the centerline of the exhaust pipe. Radius the bend at the top and then extrude the circles along the "path"? Slice the exhaust pipe at the appropriate point along the curve. Done.

I think your LISP programs might be more suitable to someone doing a lot of piping runs. Just an observation...not a criticism. Please point out the error of my ways should I be mistaken. I can always benefit from learning something new. Thanks.

LOL...Thats what I was thinking coming from someone that was asking how to make a bent pipe...LOL (Not making fun at that person....we love the beginners questions!!)

But I will have to put that lisp in my library!! Thanks

The xtube and xpipe seem great. only thing is when i try to use xtube i works the same as xpipe. It does not put a channel in the tube but just makes a pipe to the OD. Anyone know whats wrong?

I'm having the same problem with xtube. I'm using AutoCAD 2013. Anybody know what's causing that? The xpipe command works just fine.

It is probably OIE (Operator Induced Error). In layman terms it means you either missed something or your input was faulty.

How do I know this to be the case? I tested both routines moments ago using AutoCAD 2013. If you want to see the results I can post images.

Go back and try again but do so in a brand new drawing for test purposes first.

Edited by ReMark

xtube is still giving me a solid pipe. I tried it in AutoCAD 2010 and 2012 as well. Does it matter which folder I save the LISP files in? Or is there something else I am missing?

It shouldn't matter. Right now both lisp routines are sitting in a subfolder of my CADTutor folder which sits on my desktop.

What other custom lisp routines are being loaded automatically when you start your AutoCAD session?

I tested both routines mere moments ago on a second computer running Win7 and AutoCAD 2013 (both 64-bit) and they worked.

Maybe another lisp routine you preload with every AutoCAD session resets some variable vital to the Xtube routine thereby causing it to malfunction. What kind of error are you getting? I find it difficult to believe that Xpipe will work but Xtube won't.

The end result of running Xtube should be a hollow pipe not a solid cylinder.

What visual style are you working with?

I have not loaded any custom lisps other than xtube & xpipe. I use the Realistic visual style. I have not seen any error messages come up with xtube or xpipe, but I'm still getting a solid cylinder with xtube.

Are you working in one of the isometric views where you can easily see the end of a pipe to verify that it is solid or hollow?

Are you a student?

Not all lisp routines are loaded via Appload. There are a couple of ways they can be loaded without requiring input from the user.

Not a student, I'm just messing around. I'm actually very new to the lisp stuff. I loaded these two lisps via appload, then I figured out how to load them thru the CUI user interface. I am using the isometric views. The file I attached shows what happens when I try xtube on a line. I colored the ends so you can see them better. xtube.dwg

Well it's not the drawing. I opened it and used Appload to load the xtube lisp program, ran it, and it worked fine.

You never said what, if any error, AutoCAD reported back to you with when xtube failed to function as expected.

Where did you get your copy of the xtube.lsp program?

Well it's not the drawing. I opened it and used Appload to load the xtube lisp program, ran it, and it worked fine.

You never said what, if any error, AutoCAD reported back to you with when xtube failed to function as expected.

Where did you get your copy of the xtube.lsp program?

I downloaded the xtube lisp from this forum. I haven't had any error messages pop up when executing xtube, it does ask for external, then internal diameters, then it asks if I want to delete the extrude path. But then it just draws a solid tube without hollowing it out.

It's something on my end apparently. Anyway, I did find a workaround: draw the pipe using xpipe (or xtube), then it hollow out via solidedit>shell. That does the trick. 8)

• 2 years later...
I know this is an old thread but I do have a question. How can I use xpipe or xtube on a feature line?

I doubt that Xpipe and Xtube were written with Civil 3D in mind therefore to get both programs to work on a feature line they would have to be revised in some manner.

I doubt that Xpipe and Xtube were written with Civil 3D in mind therefore to get both programs to work on a feature line they would have to be revised in some manner.

That is what I was thinking. I was hoping for some wishful thinking :-) Thanks for the reply.

Maybe one of the lisp gurus here will grant you your wish. Who knows?

Having looked at the original XPIPE.lsp program by ASMI dated 16 June 2005 I notice that in the header information it says the program will work on lines, polylines and arcs. It was tested for use in AutoCAD versions 2000 through 2008.

Edited by ReMark

Maybe one of the lisp gurus here will grant you your wish. Who knows?

Having looked at the original XPIPE.lsp program by ASMI dated 16 June 2005 I notice that in the header information it says the program will work on lines, polylines and arcs. It was tested for use in AutoCAD versions 2000 through 2008.

Yeah I was looking at that and actually used the lisps on page two. Now my other issue is getting it to stop drawing just a circle in one of my drawings. I have posted that in the lisps forums. Currently up to 126 view but no replies and since I am a newbie I cant directly PM anyone yet. :x