Saving a new version of an assembly

MechanicalInv

I would like to save a version #2 of a an existing assembly and its containing parts. Meaning when I edit parts in version #1, the #2 parts should not be effected, and vice versa.

(When I use "Save as" only the assembly file is copied and it is linked to the original parts in #1.)

What is the correct way to do this???

I believe Save Copy As will not reference the original but im not 100% sure on that. There is something called Pack and Go. That I know will save all the files to a location you specify. You will need to use the drop down menu in the top left corner. Go to Save As, then Pack and Go will be at the bottom there.

Pack and Go is definitely the option that you are looking for. Just remember to include all files and save to a different location.

Both are viable options. Just make sure you save it in a different location. Another way is to simply copy the folder they are saved in to a new location as well. That all depends on how your files are organized in the project.

save as works as long as the location is different, i had this issue when i first came to using inventor it doesnt behave like solidworks and pro engineer!!