Which Autocad is right for me?

Alert One Fire Protection

I work for a fire alarm installation company in Philadelphia. I curently do our prints by hand and I was looking to learn autocad to make my job easier. We have to submit 2D floor plans with line drawings, device descriptions, calculations, wire sizes, material and zone lists, ect. Which program is the right one for me. Please help me out.

Joe C.

I work for a fire alarm installation company in Philadelphia. I curently do our prints by hand and I was looking to learn autocad to make my job easier. We have to submit 2D floor plans with line drawings, device descriptions, calculations, wire sizes, material and zone lists, ect. Which program is the right one for me. Please help me out.

Joe C.

Most people would probably tell you to start out with a fresh copy of AutoCAD LT, which is the basic AutoCAD program that lacks some major features of the full blown copy. For example, AutoCAD LT does not come with 3D tools, customization tools, and other things that you would not need or probably ever use in your line of work. If and when you DO get to the point where you would need to use them, you can always upgrade to the full version.

AutoCAD LT, plus a crash course training session with your local reseller/training facility will get you rolling. Stay on this board for quick answers to questions after you take the dive into the world of AutoCAD. :)

Also, a few links:

http://www.autodesk.com/autocadlt

Click below to local your local reseller and/or training facility:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1088201

Hope this helps. :)

Alert One Fire Protection, Stephen Girard would say, "AutoCAD light would work fine."

Local vocational schools in the Philly area have inexpensive night schools to get you started! Go for it!

2D today but what about tomorrow? Where is this headed? You and your boss should sit down and discuss the particulars.

AutoCAD LT for 2D would be just fine. I'm think though that maybe an upgrade to a full package, perhaps MEP, might be worth looking into? StykMaN, what do you think?

2D today but what about tomorrow? Where is this headed? You and your boss should sit down and discuss the particulars.

AutoCAD LT for 2D would be just fine. I'm think though that maybe an upgrade to a full package, perhaps MEP, might be worth looking into? StykMaN, what do you think?

Yes, as of right now MEP would definitely be the best option for your most effective tool. But take the advice from me now, if your clients don't utilize it much, you won't be utilizing MEP much. :(

Still with LT for now and in the event you might need to get a vertical AutoCAD product, wait until then. Gotta learn to walk before you can run.