Revit MEP - suitable for water industry?

spittle

Our reseller has suggested we look at Revit MEP. I sent them a sample job of a pump station that I had been working on whilst trialing AutoCAD MEP.

I had just asked them to provide some quotes for AutoCAD MEP training when they suggested this:

Have you also considered running a Revit MEP pilot?

It’s easier to edit parts and its ability to produce sections is far greater than AutoCAD MEP.

What do you think? Guess we'd be looking at buying or creating a library of DI piping - Saint Gobain typically. That would cover most applications of what we would model.

• 2 years later...

i realise that this thread was started a long time ago.......... but was this ever resolved? also does a library of families along the lines of saint gobain exist anywhere? (saint gobain does not have them themselves yet as i understand)

MEP was created around/for the water industry. When MEP 2009 was released it included a ton of content that was created from this project. I think MEP is in a class by itself as much as Revit is to it's own. read this article from autodesk to understand how it evolved to where it is now.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/22896872/Building-a-3D-Model-of-a-15-Billion-Dollar-Water-Treatment-Facility

i realise that this thread was started a long time ago.......... but was this ever resolved? also does a library of families along the lines of saint gobain exist anywhere? (saint gobain does not have them themselves yet as i understand)
If you go with Revit MEP, you will be building 99.9999% of all your Families from scratch. Revit MEP does not come with a huge library right out of the box, but once you get momentum going Revit is in a class all on its own.

Also note, that Revit is not AutoCAD. You build a parametric reality in Revit, you do not "draw" in Revit. The approach is totally different. Be sure you're ready and I'd be reluctant to "dive in" unless you use an outside source to fall back on, or hire someone who's already very familiar with Revit.

Keep in mind that a lot of manufacturers are getting on board the Revit boat and providing families for their products for free. Some are much better than others but I've found that most of them are very usable.