CAD LT surprise.. Any advice?

onzki

Hi guys, my first day at work after being unemployed for 9 months. Excited to do office CAD again.. however the system uses LT 2007 version. I wasn't able to use my LISP routines that I was using for the past 2 years. Sadly, fingers have memory haha.. they got used to my routine commands :(. There's no appload command too. And I don't know what else is reduced in LT version. Does it mean that I just need to go back to zero and use again the default CAD shortcuts?

well, survived my second day with slight progress. Back to the old days of default long method commands. Glad I was an addict playing with typing tutor when I was young. Anyway, the best thing is to just train myself again to get use to this, focus on what it can do rather than what it can't :) Maybe if I was the owner a small company like this, I might go with LT as well for financial advantage :) Btw, no align, layer on/isolate command too. haha that's it, I said I won't complain. I'll just toggle the light bulb, peace:)

Try lt extender for certain aditional features. It will get u by.

Also ask your employer(may be once u think your job is secure) to upgrade to latest version of lt because it ahs improved a lot. Lt 2010 has some of cool aditional features which are not even there in 2009 full version

Try lt extender for certain aditional features. It will get u by.

Also ask your employer(may be once u think your job is secure) to upgrade to latest version of lt because it ahs improved a lot. Lt 2010 has some of cool aditional features which are not even there in 2009 full version

Thanks Dipali. That's a good suggestion. I'm in a Chinese company so maybe I'll wait to be secured like what you said. Though right now, I'm beginning to get along with the long method commands. I think my day 3 was a success haha. Maybe it's really a big adjustment, both mental and physical and for now, I'll just try not to remember the capabilities of non LT version and start as if "new". I'm also interested to dig deeper with ReMark's suggestion on learning Macros. Well, everything happens for a reason so I guess this would upgrade my CAD skills. :) Thanks again for the comment

Well I hope they didn't skimp on your compensation as well.

You did know they used LT and not full AutoCAD when you took the job right?

Well, I'm new to this place and have only 5 years experience from different positions (not a solid Architecture Firm experience), so I'm on an entry level position right now in a Landscape Archi. firm, but I think it's fine with me, for gaining more experience. That's a good question, It didn't occur to me during the interview to ask what kind of software they're using. That's a good lesson to keep and I think it's also best for applicant to know the system of a company so he can assess his performance. By the way, I'm interested with Macros that you mentioned above.. are you talking about creating my own custom icons/commands? Hope you can you give me some reference as my jump-start, how can I rewrite the following separate commands to Macro:

command 1. set my osnap to mid, per, cen, node, endpoint

command 2. xline vertical, (90 deg from my selected point)

command 3. line (center to center)

Well, maybe I'll use these as my starting point in learning macros. I'll just modify the one you're giving to suite my other commands in mind. Thanks a lot! By the way, can I also customize the default aliases in LT, specific to my own user name/log in name only? THANKS! :)

My first piece of advice if you are going to be using LT for the long haul is to check out Kate Morrical's blog called LT Unlimited. The link below will take you to the latest edition (Sept. 8th) but if you look to the right you should see, and click on, the Archives that will take you all the way back to April 2007. Kate does amazingly well with wringing out all the power of LT given the somewhat limited feature set (no Lisp). Check it out. You'll be glad you did.

http://ltunlimited.typepad.com/