Hi... Prob. the most simple thing ever(sending part to pronest?)

jmaurerhrtlndstl

Hi guys. I am clearly new on here and new to autocad as well. I am using pronest 8 and autocad 2011. I am using for a steel service center with a burn table. 400A hypertherm plasma, dual oxy fuel torches and a 30hp drill. Im sure I will have many questions but to start with:

I want to draw parts in autocad and then transfer them to pronest. How do I do this. I have been struggling for a while now. Also with me using this to draw parts for a plasma what kind of template should I be using? If anyone can help me I would be so greatful. And once we get that out of the way if someone can point me in the right direction of like a beginners manual that would be great!

PS I wont be this annoying forever I have some autocad classes scheduled but still have a few weeks:( thanks in advance guys

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• jmaurerhrtlndstl

• Tiger

• MTC_Erik

From a quick search ProNest looks like it can import or open DWGs - then you don't have to do anything special in AutoCAD. Just open or import in ProNest.

A template governs what layers, textstyles, Leaderstyles, Page Setups (A4, A3, A1 for example) and a few more things are pre-loaded in your drawing. You can several templates to choose from, varying for instance for which client you have, or what part you are drawing. But there is no absolute need to have a special template from the start, use one of AutoCADs own if your company don't have any and don't worry about it right now - you will learn more about that in your course I assume.

And we've all been beginners (even if ReMark comes off as a bit know-it-all) so we know that it can be very confusing at the start, Don't Worry :)

No "special" template is required to draw parts for a plasma just as there is no special template required for drawing a house floor plan, a mechanical drawing of a gear or an electrical schematic using plain AutoCAD.

You start with opening the default template, acad.dwt, and add the features you want (refer to Tiger's post above) and save this as your new default template using a different name. Thus, in essence, this unique or "special" template is what you'll use for all new future drawings.

And the answer is "No, I do not know it all." It's just in this case I'm the second to admit it. Tiger beat me to the punch! LOL

i guess my problem is when i try to import a part into pronest it wont "find" my drawn parts It will only let me open .pnl (i believe thats what it is) I am doing this by going to import part list. is this what im doing wrong? thanks again guys

Tiger said ProNest can import a drawing as well as open a drawing. Have you tried to opening your AutoCAD drawing using ProNest?

AutoCAD cannot create a pnl file to my knowledge.

I visited the website of the maker (MTC Software) of ProNest. I found this listed under standard features:

Import CAD and CNC files (many file formats).

Note that it does not specifically say which CAD and CNC file formats. There were none listed.

Further reading of the Optional Features > 3D CAD Interface Modules I see they list Solidworks, Inventor (by AutoDesk) and Pro/ENGINEER.

I went back and took a second look. This is what I believe Tiger was referring to:

CAD/CAM Import

"The CAD/CAM Import feature allows for easy import of existing ESSI and EIA/M&G CNC programs, DXF, DWG, IGES, DSTV and various other CAD formats. CAD layer(s) information is utilized to extract the desired data associated with various cutting, scribing and punching processes, plus bill of material and plotting information. Errors located in the CAD file are corrected automatically, or flagged for a simple edit. Profile entity smoothing and reduction is performed on jagged line, polyline, and spline entities, based on a user-defined smoothing tolerance to easily manage splines. The CAD Clean-up feature provides the ability to edit/delete layers and entities of CAD files. Tool-paths for profiles are generated on-the-fly, assigning cut direction, profile sequencing and leads upon import."

Clearly, if you are running ProNest there is a way to get AutoCAD info into the program. Perhaps you should consult the ProNest Help file for further detailed information.

i guess my problem is when i try to import a part into pronest it wont "find" my drawn parts It will only let me open .pnl (i believe thats what it is) I am doing this by going to import part list. is this what im doing wrong? thanks again guys

Unlikely it will be able to read 2011 dwg file format... Our Waterjet uses nesting software as well and I save my autocad 2010 files back to 2007 .dxf format. most nesting will import .dxf so try that in 2007 and 2004.

Good Luck

KC

If you don't know what template to use, probable you don't need any template at this point. Start working in a new drawing, the only thing to check is the units. I mean if you draw in imperial units, be sure AutoCAD will not use metrics.

While you progress, after some works you will discover that you use again and again the same layer names, the same blocks and dimstyles... this is the point when you should consider creating your own templates, or just to use existing ones.

Try to export from AutoCAD in DXF format, a lot of programs can read DXFs

Can you change File of Type in the Import-dialogue box? In Autocad it looks like this.

[ATTACH]22930[/ATTACH]

ok here is the deal i draw a part in autocad 2011. then do i need to save it or export? then when i open pronest(2008) do I open or import? when i get into pronest to try and open or import it will only search for .pnl files i simply need in dumb terms how to be able to take my saved part from autocad and open it in pronest. sorry to keep this going but I am very new with both programs. thanks again guys

Still at this I see.

Create the part in AutoCAD. Save the file in an earlier file format since it appears that you are not using the 2011 version of ProNest (please confirm). You can save it as a drawing file (dwg file extension) or as a drawing exchange file (dxf file extension) as, according to what ProNest says, it can import both file types.

Re: Save as. I'd pick 2000 dwg or dxf file format. Use the "Save As" option under File at the top of your screen.

Come to think of it, perhaps the ability to import dwg or dxf files is something new to ProNest and not available in the version you have?

Does your version of ProNest have a Help file?

no 2011 autocad 2008 pronest

Well I guess that was part of the problem right there. Unless you save (in AutoCAD) to an earlier (pre-2008) file format ProNest would not be able to import the file.