Need a quick 3D favor: Should be very easy

dude

I only have ACLT 2010 so I don't have 3D capabilities. I have come across a problem I am trying to solve and I need an exact answer and this would be a no brainer for a 3D enabled AC user. I can only offer my sincerest thank you for helping me out.

I have a vertical cylinder. I.D. 48", O.D. 58". Height is greater than 30".

A 24" diameter hole is going to be removed from the above cylinder wall. I need to know the exact volume of material removed. Cubic inches is fine.

Anyone help me out?

If you need a visual, I found this image on the net while surfing for an answer to this problem.

attachment.php?attachmentid=36355&d=1205707367

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dude

• paulmcz

• JD Mather

• Jack_O'neill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Somehow my post is not showing up.

I only have AutoCad LT 2010 so I don't have 3D capabilities. I have a problem I need solved and it should be a snap for 3D patrons. All I can say is thank you very much for helping me. Any help is great appreciated.

I have a cylinder with a 48" I.D. and 58" O.D.

I am going to cut a 24" diameter hole out of one side. I need to know the volume of the piece removed. Cubic inches is fine and I need an exact number which is why I came to the experts.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have attached a photo, which is not mine nor did I create it, that I found that helps illustrate my problem.

attachment.php?attachmentid=36355&d=1205707367

I have a cylinder with a 48" I.D. and 58" O.D.

I came to the experts.

I have attached a photo, which is not mine nor did I create it, that I found ...

So where did you get it, perhaps from a certification exam? Are you in the middle of the exam right now?

volume.png

ReMark: I understand you are not a mind reader. ;) I am not sure what was going on but my post was blank and not showing up. I had to repost under the post. I did get a message saying a Moderator would have to approve the post before being published. Not sure why since I have been a member here a long time.

JD Mather: You sound like you are busting me for cheating or something. 48" and 58" are numbers that are apart of a problem, my problem, not associated with any kind of certification. ???

You can find the original photo in this thread here http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119633 I posted a picture because as stated in the FAQ, a picture is worth a thousand words. Just trying to help everyone visualize the problem before wasted work is performed.

I am just looking for a check to validate my math, which is very rusty. I got 2327.04 cubic inches integrating. Can you perhaps let me know if my integration on my HP48GX is up to par with a 3D model?

I swear this forum keeps deleting my posts. Anyone have the same problem? JD, I am going to repost my entire post again here in the Quick Reply window. It looks like I am close! This is good news and that is the exact shape I was solving for. Do you mind me asking which program you used and how long it took to create that shape? Very nice. Thank you. Would you be so kind to show the entire number?

ReMark: I understand you are not a mind reader. ;) I am not sure what was going on but my post was blank and not showing up. I had to repost under the post. I did get a message saying a Moderator would have to approve the post before being published. Not sure why since I have been a member here a long time.

JD Mather: You sound like you are busting me for cheating or something. 48" and 58" are numbers that are apart of a problem, my problem, not associated with any kind of certification. ???

You can find the original photo in this thread here http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119633 I posted a picture because as stated in the FAQ, a picture is worth a thousand words. Just trying to help everyone visualize the problem before wasted work is performed.

I am just looking for a check to validate my math, which is very rusty. I got 2327.04 cubic inches integrating. Can you perhaps let me know if my integration on my HP48GX is up to par with a 3D model?

I have approved one of your posts. I'm not going to approve the others though because they are just duplicates. Please don't include links in your posts until you reach the required 10 posts. If you need to include an image in your post, please upload the image here in the forum by following these instructions: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?8863-How-to-add-images-to-your-posts

JD, going over my numbers it appears that the area number you show is the tota surface area.

You also appear to be using the weight of water for the density.

Could you also verify these numbers in addition to the requested numbers?

Surface area outside: 462.76 in^2

Surface area inside: 468.04 in^2

Here is a top view I drew to try and break the problem down by geometric shape and solve for individual volumes. The problem is that the "domes" as I am calling them are not true domes. Is there anyway you can slice each of those out and let me know the volume and possibly put up the individual images for each so I can visual them better?

I also understand that I did not upload this image to the server but when I click the insert image button, it ask only for a web address.

top-view.png

I got 2327.04 cubic inches integrating.

Looked like a typical question on Inventor certification exam. (I used Autodesk Inventor - students can download for free from http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity )

(This could also be done in free to everyone - Inventor Fusion http://labs.autodesk.com )

Less than 5 minutes "work". Circle (3 times, one for each given size) Extrude, Extrude - Intersection. iProperties. Done.

I left on the default of density which is water.

Area is of outside faces of removed solid. Not sure what other area you are referring to?

volume.jpg

The two areas I was asking for are the areas on for each "face". There is also the area around the object (5" wide strip) that has a surface area but I am not concerned with that.

Thanks again! Those should measure exactly as your program could give.

Also, thanks for the tip. I am going to check into both options. I have been drawing in CAD in some format since around 23 years. I have been only drawing in 2d that whole time. It may be time to learn some basic 3D stuff.

Thank you yet again. You will notice that my numbers were spot on for the face area's. It seems I need to integrate the entire way through the wall to get a precise number. My face area's were averaged and then multiplied by 5" for the wall thickness. It's very, very close, but not exact. I still need more work.

Thanks once again.

not sure how to find exact numbers in cad, but by using differentiation you will be able to achieve this

Yes you can. It is a double integral just to find the surface area of each side. Finding the volume I have yet to find someone that can get me an answer that integrates exactly has JD's volume number. I can only get within 2 in^3 and if JD is kind enough to do the larger hole than I can redo and see if my error is about the same or increasing.

It takes a triple integral to get both surface areas and volume.

It was run on a university computer lab (read big time university math lab) and here is the answer exact to four decimal places. I am posting this just for interested parties. 2325.6232 cubic inches.

JD, I really hate to ask but can you repeat this for a hole that would be 42" in diameter intersecting the same cylinder with a 48" ID and 58" OD?

With a parametric program like Inventor simply edit the dimensions and the model updates.

Students and faculty can download Inventor Professional for free.

New Volume.png

Edited by JD Mather