Attributes

sonic22

hey really new to this CAD stuff. I just started designing cabinets in CAD. I'm working with a bunch of blocks and presets established by my predecessor at this company. So I merely copied a bunch of his layouts and changed the viewports, now I'm attempting to edit the attributes of the block i.e. page number, scale etc. Whenever I do this in the block editor it changes the attributes in every layout i.e. pg 1 for every page of layout. However when I try to edit in the page itself with the enhanced attribute editor I am told in the command line that the block I've selected has no editable attributes. How is this so? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

it sounds that they are text, not attributes. Do you have the blocks stored as files or as blocks within another drawing?

If they are files, open the file. If they are within another drawing open that drawing then open the block with BEDIT. Then you can create new attributes using ATTDEF and replace the existing fixed text.

the block is from a template. and they are attribute values that I want to change for individual pages in my layouts. if I go to the original block won it change the values for every place the block is used. is there a way to make it variable to each page?

I don't know about templates with blocks so you may have to wait for somebody else to answer.

Any text in a block is fixed fr that block. If you want text that can change each time a block is inserted you need attributes.

yeah thanks. I think I did something wrong in setting up my layouts by just copying and pasting whole layouts rather than opening indv templates. I know that its the attributes I want to change I just dont know why they arent editable.

again thank you

If it is a template that just has a title block in it with attributes than just xref it into your sheest and double click it and it will bring up the attribute editor so you can change page numbers etc.

do I xref the template? it appears as if I can only ref a dwg and I can't find the drawing that made the template. also if you could explain what to do with xref should I be able to use it. I dont fully udnerstand the concept.

thank you

Sorry I thought too much about the problem and am now realizing that it wont work. because once you xref it in it is seen as a block of sorts and the attributes cannot be edited.

now that I think about it, what we do is have a titlblock with all the info that is common amongst the sheets and for stuff that cahges (scale, drawing description, etc) we creat multiple attributes on seperate layers (scale 1, scale 2, etc) than just turn off those that are not applicable in the sheets. As far as page number goes we have a block that we just insert and change per page...

I might not be helping the situation but I confused myself so I just wanted to let you know what I really was thinking in my previous post..(Its Friday)

Have you tried to explode your block??

It appears to me that the block was inserted as a block. Does that make sense??

So if you explode it and its still a block it got doubleblocked and you should be able to change the attributes after you exploded it.

Urg wish i could explan it better >

word thanks man, I think I'm just scraping my **** and starting over with new temp/blocks for each page. Its kinda the fact that I'm half creating my own and half using some old established work. really I'm just interested in why the block isnt editable, is it locked? or something because if I open a new page with that block in it I can change it. i just dont know enough yet.

again thanks

guess I gotta just keep gimping along till the weekend

wow

i'm exploding the block like I had a trunk full of bootleg DVDS!!!!

thanks cpriedel. I got a lot to learn about this business.

here's to breakthroughs on friday that shoulda been done on tuesday