Incorporating Google Maps Street View

ScottnSharrer

Today while at work, the vice president of the company came to me with questions regarding AutoCAD and Google Street View. Has anyone heard of a way to incorporate Google Street View into AutoCAD?? Trying to do this because the company just purchased a new building and will be relocating. Have drawings that need to be done for renovations that will be taking place and the owner would like to see how these renovations will change the appearance of the building before the work is complete. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Please email me at hrierie@gmail.com again thank you. Scott

What is the significance of using Street View? You can draft on top of any image by using the IM command. this brings up the external reference window, it contains an option to insert an image. From there you can do whatever it is you want. Can you not physically take a picture of the building for some reason? You could always take a "print screen" of the street view image, paste it into paint, crop it, and save it as a jpg... Then insert that into AutoCAD...

I hope i am understanding your question properly...

• 3 weeks later...

I usually take a print screen of the map in satellite view. When you zoom in, make the scale at about 200 ft. Then once you paste it into AutoCAD, scale it. I then use a polyline to trace over all the streets, buildings, parking lots, etc. Explode it to normal lines once I am done. If I make it really nice, it usually takes me about 30 minutes.

I can make one hell of a site plan, and it is pretty accurate for what I do. We need our site plans for Hydraulic purposes, calculating the pressure back to the fire hydrant. It's accurate within a foot or less. I always write a little disclaimer on it, stating that it is for hydraulic purposes only to be used by us only. You don't want to be responsible for some egg head trying to use it for something else.