How do I fade images into a black background?

MarcoW

Hi there,

For another time consuming hobby I have, create websites, I very often need to edit images. One of the things I find hard is to find / have / keep a method to fade images (with gradient) into the black background.

This is the way I do now, using PhotoShop 7:

1. open image and copy all to clipboard

2. create new image (photoshop makes it's size matching to the clipboards content)

3. make the new image black (with bucket tool)

4. add new layer

5. paste the image from clipboard to the new layer

6. add a mask

7. put the gradient on the image

Now the gradient tool I find a struggle... it never seems to start where I want...

But a bigger problem is: if I have 5 images, all the same size, how do I apply exact the same gradient to them? This is useful for making animated gifs.

To be hounest: I hope someone will stand up and wake me up!! I feel like I am doing this in a total odd way. Maybe somebody can help me out.

In fact this is all I do in PhotoShop, fading images, but maybe there is a more approperiate tool for me that I don not know of at this moment..?

Well, thanks in advance, for those who are willing to help me out.

----

img03.jpg

I would:

1. Open image in Photoshop

2. Make new layer

3. Fill the new layer with black

4. Add a layer mask

5. Apply gradient

To apply the same gradient to all five images I would just drag the gradient layer from one image and drop it on to another. If you hold the Shift key, before you drop the layer, it will snap into the correct position.

Hi Cad64 (Rod..?),

Thanks for the reply, one of these days I will have a try at this!

Dragging the "gradient layer from one image and drop it on to another", I didn't think of that before, thanks again.

I will post the results.

Regards,

MarcoW.

Or, even more efficient. Apply the gradient mask to the black layer and keep that on top. You can then move the black gradient until you get just the effect you want. Then add all your other images as layers in the same file, below the black gradient. If you want to make an animated gif, everything is together in a single file - easy.

• 4 weeks later...

Cad64 & CADTutor:

I have not forgotten what we were talking about in this thread! I owe you an answer like promised...

I have tried the way Cad64 describes and got along real good. In the meantime I "discovered" a new option: menu layer>new fill layer>solid... That does the first I need, make a kind of film over the image so it darkens a bit.

Next I did (almost) the same again: layer> new fill layer> gradient... I played with the settings and I wrote down the ones I like.

The result is this:

img03.jpg

I recorded my screen during editing to show you what I did.

The quality of the video ^%$# but thats a whole new story...

Now I will have to find a way to do apply the same layer masks (solid & gradient) to all images I need, with as little work as can be, for I am lazy... neay, just to do it how it should be, how it is intended to be.

Maybe here comes in what you mean CADTutor; but as I said, I'll need to try first...

Thanks guys for the help, really appreciate!:thumbsup:

Now I will have to find a way to do apply the same layer masks (solid & gradient) to all images I need, with as little work as can be, for I am lazy... neay, just to do it how it should be, how it is intended to be.

I don't call that being lazy, I call it being efficient. You know you can record actions, right? http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=434249

You know you can record actions, right? http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=434249

Neah, never knew that, haha... this is gonna be a timesaver for shure! I will go on an adventure!

Like earlier, I will show you my final results, that way I can prove you I am really doing something with it, not that I need to prove, but I like to be serious with things and your info just helps me a lot. But be aware: it might take some time again ;-).

Thanks again, kind regards,

MarcoW.