How do you stretch a rectangle??

garlei

I used Line to create a rectangle, am trying to "Stretch" it smaller....

I tried to select the 3 lines on the left side then stretch but the top & bottom lines also moved as well, leaving them sticking out of the rectangle at the other end....

I hope this is easy to understand.. Please help me!

CAD stretch.png

Select the ends of the lines to stretch using a CROSSING WINDOW. I think there is a tutorial on the CADTutor main page about selecting objects. Also AutoCAD's help file should explain the crossing window concept.

On the other hand: I think you should draw rectangles using the RECTANGLE command.

You might try selecting the lines you want to stretch, then while holding down the shift key select the individual grip points you want to move.

You make your selection process "crossing" by clicking in a right to left fashion. That is, click first the right corner of the selection window then the left corner. You will see the selection rectangle appear as a dashed line. If you select a normal window (left corner, right corner) the selection window visible line will be 'solid"

Crossing window is right to left any object that is crossed or within window will be picked.

Normal wndow is left to right only objects that are fully within the window will be picked.

CP & WP crossing and window polygons similar.

Just for the sake of learning, here's a short demo video.

stretch.gif

Notice: after I Stretch the box, I grip edit and move the box back to where I wanted it. You can grip edit a single vertex by picking the grip, but you can also move as many vertices as you select if you Shift+Left-Click each grip, then Left-Click the grip you want to stretch from.

Alanjit

You forgot to specify that after you selected the ends to be stretched, you pressed the shift key while you selected again the diagonal lines, -so in fact you get them deselected. Shift+select on already selected objects causes to remove them from the selection set.

Edited by alanjt

You are using 2011, use the rectangle command or pedit the lines to join them, pick on the rectangle, pick the grip in the middle of a side and stretch away.

Alanjit

You forgot to specify that after you selected the ends to be stretched, you pressed the shift key while you selected again the diagonal lines, -so in fact you get them deselected. Shift+select on already selected objects causes to remove them from the selection set.

Alanjit

Oh yeah, sorry about that. Thank you for adding that bit of information.

Above post edited.