Create linetype for showing flow direction

Susan-Skye

I'm new to AutoCAD LT, and it's been ten years since I used any CAD software- and it was MiniCAD that I used.

I remember in that program that we used to use a linetype with directional arrows interspersed in it for showing things like flow direction, but I can't find it in LT.

Also, that program didn't use lisp files- so I have no idea what I'm doing with one, how to make it, program it into LT, etc. :?

Can anyone tell me step-by-step from the beginning how I would go about creating (or finding already created) this linetype?

Welcome to the CADTutor forum Susan-Skye.

The linetype you describe is not a part of the acad.lin file that I am aware of. However, it could be created.

Lisp is not required for creating linetypes.

It's possible this linetype or one very similar has already been created by another forum member and posted. Check out similar threads listed below or try a search.

Search for a file named "acadlt.lin". This is a linetype definition file. Open it in Notepad.

Go to the bottom of the file and paste this in:

*FLOW,---->---->---->---->

A,.5,-.2,["é",WINGDINGS,S=.1,R=270.0,X=-0.05,Y=0.14],-.25

Save and close the file.

Open AutoCAD LT.

Create a new text style named "WINGDINGS" and assign it the TT font named "Wingdings".

Run the LINETYPE command, and load the FLOW linetype from the file you edited.

It should look like this.

flow.png

This is just an example. You can choose a different character or you can create your own shape inside of a shape file and create a linetype to reference your custom shape. (that is more complex - not explained here.)

rkm: Does LT offer a command similar to the make shape command like that found in full AutoCAD? If not how would one go about creating a shape in LT? Thanks.

rkm: Does LT offer a command similar to the make shape command like that found in full AutoCAD? If not how would one go about creating a shape in LT? Thanks.

No making shapes in LT (at least in 2007 LT). Another one of the drawbacks to using LT.

No making shapes in LT (at least in 2007 LT). Another one of the drawbacks to using LT.

The MKSHAPE command is part of Express Tools, and therefore of course not part of LT.

All you really need to create a shape [.SHP] file is Notepad, although you would need the ._COMPILE command to create the [.SHX] file, and as of LT2009, the Compile command was not part of LT (not sure if it's in newer versions....) Anyone with AutoCAD could compile the SHP to SHX though, and it looks like there is a standalone SHP2SHX executable out there somewhere also...

Create or load a text style? There is a big difference.

To load a new text style start with the STYLE command. Your Help file will provide you with further details.

rkmcswain posted:

"Open AutoCAD LT.

Create a new text style named "WINGDINGS" and assign it the TT font named "Wingdings".

Run the LINETYPE command, and load the FLOW linetype from the file you edited."

I have no idea how to do this, and the HELP file isn't much help.

Edited by Susan-Skye

rkmcswain posted:

"Open AutoCAD LT.

Run the LINETYPE command, and load the FLOW linetype from the file you edited."

I have no idea how to do this, and the HELP file isn't much help.

* In AutoCAD LT, type in the command name STYLE. Create a NEW style, name it "Wingdings", and assign it the font "Wingdings.ttf"

* After the new textstyle has been created, type in the command name "LINETYPE", click the LOAD button, click the FILE button, browse to the file you edited, find the linetype name in the list, highlight it, press OK. Now you should be back in the Linetype Manger dialog. Find the newly loaded linetype name, highlight it, then press the CURRENT button. Close this dialog, and draw away...

Ah, thank you. We never had to do anything like this in MiniCAD, since it was all visual drop-down boxes like MS Word.

If you set up your template(s) for AutoCAD properly, then it's basically the same as you describe.