New Project for Inventor (Newbees!!)

Steve_wright

Ok we have a few new users including me starting a new project.

Remote Control

Most of us have a remote control ...Our time scale is at the end of this month :) 31/10/2010

plenty of time!!

If you do it before then... then great

All questions on this thread ....no matter how daft it sounds we are all here to help each other !!

Anyone can enter even the experience ones lol

Please remember even it looks wrong and some of us struggle don't worry it's a bit of fun !!

Happy modelling!!

"any" Autodesk inventor.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rdharvey

• Hopinc

• Steve_wright

• Calibos

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, I'm gonna try and model my calculator, is that close enough?

I used Shell.

Does that seem right?

I guess the silver brushed metal piece and display as well as the buttons will be separate models and then assembled later.

HP11C.jpg

HP11CZipped.zip

OK, I'm gonna try and model my calculator, is that close enough?

I used Shell.

Does that seem right?

I guess the silver brushed metal piece and display as well as the buttons will be separate models and then assembled later.

[ATTACH]23567[/ATTACH]

Looks good so far. Without having one i cant tell you about the shape. You can model the buttons and face plate in the same part just as a multi-body part. When you go to do an extrusion for the buttons or face plate just make sure you select "New Part" as opposed to Add or Subtract in the Extrude dialog box. What was sketch3 for?

Oh and just to give you guys some ideas on things to draw. Stapler, computer mouse, pen or pencil(with lots of detail), cell phone. Kitchen appliances like blenders or toasters are pretty good too.

Steve, Just logged on to your post to express my support for you guys. Good luck with your projects - modelling something serious is the fastest way to learn a CAD system.

BTW- The facia plate of Mr.Bradley's calculator is easy to create (see attached pic). If you need any help when you get that far send me a PM.

Regards & best wishes to you all.

Dave

facia.jpg

... What was sketch3 for?

I don't know what sketch3 is for, I may have been starting to draw something and got distracted.

I still have to punch more holes for the buttons.

I can't decide if I should start a couple of new extrusions and pattern them, or go back and make my pattern 10X4.

Thanks for the help.

Steve, Just logged on to your post to express my support for you guys. Good luck with your projects - modelling something serious is the fastest way to learn a CAD system.

BTW- The facia plate of Mr.Bradley's calculator is easy to create (see attached pic). If you need any help when you get that far send me a PM.

Regards & best wishes to you all.

Dave

Hi Dave, just a quick one, how did u get all the symbols etc. for your remote. and for the coloured blocks are they separate sketches? or is it a projected image?

thank rob

Hi Rob,

All the text, coloured blocks and symbols are simple embossings with a raised height of 0.001mm. The text embossing was done in several stages because the text height is not constant. When characters were missing from the font alphabet I created what I needed by making suitable sketches. Luckily I only had to do this for the arrows and square symbols.

When you place text within a sketch you can of course select, height, font style, justification, underline, italic, bold, stretch, etc.

You may not know that after placing the text if you right click on it and turn off the "text box" you will find that a green dot appears at the point you have previously chosen for justification. This point can then be dimensionally driven to accurately locate the text in relation to features, cut-outs and other text. You can of course use horizontal and vertical constraints as well.

After that it is a simple emboss, at which point you can select a colour for the emboss, the direction it operates, i.e. cut or raised and if you wish "wrap to face."

Be advised that if you mirror an embossing the colour will disappear and need re-applying to the mirrored object, so don't think it has not worked, move your cursor over where the mirrored emboss should be and it will highlight, you can then select the face(s) to change it's colour properties.

T1.jpg

T3.jpg

T2.jpg

Edited by Hopinc

awesome its what i thought, didn't know if there was a simpler way to do it and if symbols could be downloaded into the contents centre from somewhere. Cheers for the help. Thing i might try my Samsung remote this weekend!

Ok we have a few new users including me starting a new project.

Remote Control

Most of us have a remote control ...Our time scale is at the end of this month :) 31/10/2010

plenty of time!!

If you do it before then... then great

All questions on this thread ....no matter how daft it sounds we are all here to help each other !!

Anyone can enter even the experience ones lol

Please remember even it looks wrong and some of us struggle don't worry it's a bit of fun !!

Happy modelling!!

"any" Autodesk inventor.

:thumbsup:

How should the finished item be posted online?

Glad I can be of help. I look forward to seeing your models.

As far as symbols go there are some available to the user when placing text (see picture). To get these you just click on the box indicated and cycle through the options. Hopefully what you need is there, if not you will have to sketch your own.

Dave

t4.jpg

...and at the bottom left of that image of available characters Dave posted there is a link to the Windows character map for about anything you could need.

J.D. is quite right, and I should have mentioned that. Unfortunately he is incorrect about it containing "about anything you could need."

Dave

Edited by Hopinc

How do I Hide everything except for Feature6? (The brushed aluminum faceplate)

I want to shell the Feature6 with Excluded Faces, but the other Features are in my way.

Or I can extrude a slice out of it to make it thinner. If I suppress everything goes away. I just want to toggle visibility.

ThanksSliced.jpg

HP11CZipped10-07-10.zip

Yes,

I see I can deselect the visibility if I right click on the part, but how do I get it back. I don't see the option for visibility on the tree.

Thanks

Visibility1.jpg

Visibility2.jpg