Unsure of what course level to pick

kezflake

I'm not sure if I'm posting on the right forum or even if I'm posting on the right type of site but I wanted to get the advice from people who actually work in the industry not from some adviser who has just read about it.

I am trying to find out qualification is best for a applying for entry level drafting positions

I have a tiny bit of work experience but what would look better for employers my construction related degree + 3D CAD (with no evidence of 2D apart from my portfolio) or the degree with 2D cad and would 3D even be valuable to know or is that just for the senior types .

When I applied for drafting positions I was told I needed evidence of Drafting skills more than my portfolio and an industry standard qualification was essential.

Im on a course now that is at my own pace but expected to last 36 weeks and both me and my tutor are unsure which level I should be at as there is:

Intermediate 2D city & guilds and Advanced 3D city & guilds

While I was at uni I took AutoCAD c lasses alongside learning about interior architecture construction so I get the basics for sure with this program. The thing is my tutor had put me on the advanced but im not so sure thats the right route.

I know no one here has actually seen my work but I would say im about 75% competent for the Intermediate and my only experience with 3D is Blender and S ketchup. I am pretty good at picking up software tho even if I do say so myself o:) and always got called the photoshop go to girl at uni ha.

Advice would be great im a bit confused with this

I think the first thing you need to do is think about where you are and where you want to go long term, ie industry experience against "your dream".

You may find that you'll have to start at the bottom so to speak and get a couple of years CAD behind you but that depends on your current experience.

I'm based in the UK like yourself and had to start there but as long as your willing to put the work in and get the experience/qualifications needed to take you where you want to go then it's possible.

I know i have given more questions than answers but hope it has helped.

Good luck with what you decide to go for.

My advice, start at the bottom qualificationwise. If you show potential your tutor will/should push and encourage you to go further. I started with my basic 2d course (even after I'd been working on CAD for nearly 5 years). It gives you the chance to look at anything that you're not sure of, or in my case, use commands that were completely different to what I used. If you get the chance, work thru each course, getting as much from each as you can... try not to skip ahead because you "know it" In AutoCAD theres always more than one way of doing things, and some of the courseworks show this. Look for real-world type examples to put in your portfolio to give any new employer an idea of what you are capable of. Its very difficult to find someone who is willing to work in the entry-level position (we were looking for almost a year)

I've been in this field for more than 15 years, and for drafting I've never been turned away from a job because I dont have a degree. (so in my eyes, these are not important, especially as many companies will pay for these courses if the company feels they are important)

I hope I havent confused you :)

Good luck with your future course and career

Hi thanks for the advice I dont mind starting from the bottom s to speak and its not like I haven't been working on a portfolio now for a couple of years so at least iv got a head start with that.

Thinking you are right jonsey about getting a good grounding qualification wise before I move onto the advanced areas.

There tomorow anyway so shall see what shall come