Assistance with 3D drafting

Wilbri

I think Wilbri needs to start small and simple before he graduates to something larger and more complex don't you Pascal? We crawl before we walk so to speak. Nice images by the way. We should also keep in mind that Wilbri is using AutoCAD 2007 and some of us fortunate enough to have later releases may have commands/features/options that AC 2007 lacks.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wilbri

• ReMark

• CADkitt

• marmo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know Remark I just show the 3d capacities with autocad. I created with 2007 but I rendered with 2011. I included a small tutorial who created for my future bilingual learning course in november.

Said me what do you think

Thanks

Thanks ReMark

Yes let me not our mutual preference of KISS.

Can't walk run before we can crawl right?

This has been the typical method I use when detailing a component and adding an Isomentric view for clarity.

But you are looking for a Solid rendition are'nt you.

I will attempt this during the day tomorrow and attach my drawing to my next send as it is now 00h16.

PS: this message was drafted before I had received your messagervpas.

But as you see I aggree with ReMarks comments.

Many thanks to you anyway.

Edited by Wilbri
PS added and corrected a phrase as well

Hi Wilbri,

As I said at my trainees start whith the simple 2d drawing and examine each views and imagine how to make it in real.

"You right it's late in france too"

bye

Pascal

Ps I forgot this in my first post, its the stage to create the plate platine stage.jpg)

Try looking at the tutorials that you brought JD Mather, who writes on the forum.

They are in PDF format and range from a basic to an advanced level.

They are very interesting and have an educational value, because they show that even with a few commands of Autocad, compared to other modelers, you can also get very complex solids if you can imagine 2dshapes that generate them.

In my opinion the difficulty is not understanding how works a 3d command, extrude for exaple, is very intuitive to understand, even those who do not pre ever used.

Also press and pull ... Just try it once and you can say more about them.

The real obstacle is moving swiftly with the UCS in 3D space, to prepare a good basic 2D.

You could start like this, the first day: only 2D shapes in 3D space, placed with precision where you decide in advance to put them.

The second day you could use the Extrude command, press and pull, then sweep, loft.

When you test a new command always keep an eye on the command promp: autocad is speaking to you and asks you what need!

On the third day start a small project 3d, a small car, a chair, a table...

After a week you have all the knowledge! Then it is just experience, but that also depends on the type of work you do and the complexity of the models that you request.

There are only a few rules that must be 2d to become a good 3D.

Some are obvious.

1 - if you extrude a line you get a surface.

2 - if you extrude a surface you get a volume.

3 - for my experience the volumes are preferable to surface.

The extrude command adds 1 dimension to the object on which it operates.

What are the surface for autocad?

Regions and polylines or splines closed, circles, rectangles ... all closed shape.

For example a square made of 4 lines, is not a closed form, autocad sees only four lines put together. If you extrude this square you only get 4 surfaces.

So when you use the simple lines in 3d?

They are used for paths. Some commands require a path of extrusion.

For this try sweep...

Regards

Marco

Wilbri: You don't have to worry about "rendering" anything just quite yet. You can make use of visual styles though such as 2D wireframe, 3D hidden, conceptual and realistic. These would be more than enough, for the time being, to visualize what you have drawn at various stages.

It has been a while since I used 2007 so I'll have to dig out my reference book to see just what commands are available to you.

Chaps, today has not been as good as hoped. Firstly after booting up this morning I attempeted to open AutoCad 2007 and found to my astonishment that I was unable to do so. IAs the PC belongs to my client I decided to refer the matter to them only fo find that their IT administrator, is away on business and will only be returning some time next week.

So OK I thought, this would provide me with the opportunity to try out "progeCAD professional" CAD software which I acquired for my private PC at the beginning of the year. This is an Intellicad product marketed out of the Coma district of Italy with a price that suited my budget, namely 6% the cost of AutoCad, but certainly not as impressive.

It loaded just fine, providing me with an image similar t the one I had on Acad 2007 last evening.

It was then time to make a print of the layout drawing to provide me with information to commence mt 3Dsolid drawing and believe it or not, I found that I was unable to print due to the software failing to communicate with my Printer "HP Officejet 6000 professional".

So I have been spending time attempting to resolve the issue which now indicates that the USB cable could be at fault.

I am wondering if the system, which was turned off overnight received an electrical spike as I had disconnected my UPS because the batteries required replacing. Could this sort of thing have caused the problems I have experienced?

So sorry i hope to be up and running later (will hand sketch th bracket)

Marmo

Thank you for your participation and information is very much appreciated.

But with respect, I have decided to stay with ReMark as he has provided me a task which he has determined to be the correct approach to suit me right now.

For your information, ReMark are of similar age and have come from a similar engineering background so I believe that we better able understand one another. Only of course when it comes to AutoCad he is so advanced that he has most likely forgotton what I still need to learn

You are more than welcome to contnue providing suggestions.

How did you arrive at the fact that it could be a USB cable problem?

Perhaps it was nothing more than a glitch. I would have first shut down the computer, wait 20 seconds, turn on the printer FIRST then booted up the computer. Maybe it was nothing more than the computer not recognizing the printer was out there. My second option would have been to uninstall and then reinstall the printer via the Windows Printers and Faxes option.

When Wilbri says we are of similar age he means we're both 39, tall, dark and handsome but we try to live with those disadvantages as best we can!

ReMark

As regards my I had attempted all the steps and some more throughout the afternoon, and yes in fact it might not be the USB cable as the print instruction information is being picked up by the printer as is evident when thrrouhg Control Panel> Printers & Faxes> my HP printer set at default records the instruction but will not print.

Local print test provides a good copy, so there is someething else.

Anyway it needs to be serviced prior to year ending 18 November so I will take it in tomorrow.

Now to the attempt at producing the drawing.

I have attached a copy what I have achieved so far but am unable to progress any furtther using the present method.

I have opened the views toolbar and used this method to produce the top view but cannot fin a way of progressing any further. You will notice that I have managed to produce the border in polyline but have nit been sucessful in joining the inner lines.

Anyway in opening your drawing, I notice that you have not used polylines in this instance anyway.

Unfortunately progeCAD does not provide SOLVIEW & SOLDRAW commends (states that "This command is not yet supported")

I also have checked with a colleague of mine who runs Acad 2004 and his system is also unable to recognize these commands.

Unfortunately I did not check the 2007 before the failure either.

When did these commands first appear?

So the problems continue.

What I would suggest that I could do is produce the 3D drawing using conventional methods at the moment.

But you obviously have a reason for using your suggested method.

Adjustable Guide - Assignment - Willbri.dwg

I'm just heading out for the day Wilbri. I won't be able to view your drawing or make any comments/observations for a couple of hours but I'll try my best to do so later today. Hang tight. Will talk with you soon.

ReMark

Thanks ReMark

Whilst you are away thre is something I would like you to confirm.

Are we drawing 3D surfaces here? It would seem to me to be the case.

Or are we in Solid Modeling i.e employing "primatives" and the like?

I thought you said you would prefer solids not surfaces. When I do a tank fabrication drawing in 3D I use solids because the material I am working with (carbon steel, hastelloy C-2000, stainless steel) is solid.

Anyway in opening your drawing, I notice that you have not used polylines in this instance anyway. I most certainly did. What you may be thinking are "my lines' in model space were put there by AutoCAD during the SolDraw command. I can prove it too. Open Layer Properties Manager. Find the layer named OBJECT and make it current. Now freeze all the other layers. The entity that remains on that layer is a single 3D solid. I know this because I just checked doing the same steps.

I also have checked with a colleague of mine who runs Acad 2004 and his system is also unable to recognize these commands. You better have your friend sit in on this training. AutoCAD 2004 does indeed have both commands. They can be found on the Solids toolbar, or on the Draw menu under Solids > Setup > View or by typing them in at the command line. I've got 2004 open as I respond to these questions and have verified it.

Unfortunately I did not check the 2007 before the failure either. Not to worry, the commands are included with 2007 as well.

When did these commands first appear? No idea at the moment. I'd have to do a little research to answer that one. Shawn Hurley's blog may have the info though.

What I would suggest that I could do is produce the 3D drawing using conventional methods at the moment. What method would that be then?

But you obviously have a reason for using your suggested method. I suggested the use of SolView and SolDraw purely by chance. I could have suggested Flatshot or SolProf or some other method.

Maybe we need to just cover the basics of working in 3D with various 3D commands before delving into methods for converting 3D drawings to 2D. Does that make more sense to you?

One other thought...maybe we ought to start with some simple entities instead of the adjustable guide while we work through some of the commands.

Thanks ReMark

Yes I certainly do prefer the Solids, but as I have no previous experience in 3D was nterested to establish which mode we are in.

So that indicates to me that the flat Front, Side and Top surfaces protrayed, are in fact solids not bearing a Z (thickness) value, is my understanding correct.

Did have a look at your layers to get some idea before commencing.

Sorry was just about to post my reply when this message arrived, so proceeded to anyway.

Thankyou for your suggestion. Yes I believe the basics are what I need to know.

When do you think you'll be back to using AutoCAD 2007? It probably doesn't make much sense to be telling you to use some AutoCAD command that is either named differently or not available in progeCAD.

Addendum:

Got to sign off now. 6:45 p.m. EST I'll catch up with you tomorrow.

Edited by ReMark

From what I can gather it will ony be Wednesday/Thursday next week.

I am presently negotiating with thwe company to transfer another Acad equipped PC for me from their Johannesburg main office.

Do not have any work for them at present so I might not be successful.

I agree that I would feel more comfortable with AutoCad, any way this is an AutoCad Site.

I would be happy to become aquainted with 3D by attempting to learn and apply the information and lessons from George Omura's Acad 2004 book in the mean time.

This would provide me with some introductory principles of 3D and at the same time free you up to be able to assist other forum users, until I am up an runnuing with Autocad 2007 again?

I leave the decision up to you.