XREF - Bind and Insert

LunarKitten

I have used AutoCAD for ten years but I'm struggling to understand the difference between Bind and Insert :unsure:

I thought one option brought in all the layers of the Xref and preceded the layer name with $ codes, etc. so you could differentiate between what is on the live drawing and what was brought in from the Xref.

And the other option combined all elements on the Xref's layer into the layer of the live drawing - so avoiding the repeated layers of above.

Does that make sense? :?

I have used AutoCAD for ten years but I'm struggling to understand the difference between Bind and Insert :unsure:

I thought one option brought in all the layers of the Xref and preceded the layer name with $ codes, etc. so you could differentiate between what is on the live drawing and what was brought in from the Xref.

And the other option combined all elements on the Xref's layer into the layer of the live drawing - so avoiding the repeated layers of above.

Does that make sense? :?

That's basically correct. Bind brings in the xref but keeps it separate; Insert turns it into a block, as the name suggests. One big disadvantage is that, after you bind the xref, changes to the original xref drawing aren't reflected in the bound copy.

Note that you can rename the layers (and styles and linetypes and so forth) from the xref.

See AutoCAD help on binding XREFs for a good explanation. If you have any more questions after that, let us know.

Thanks RobDraw, I shall do that *investigates* :)

BIND INSERT you must be very careful with your layer use as the insert option can cause a number of problems.

Here is the best reason: Not to use it!

I have two xrefs each with a layer called A-ANNO-DIMS the layer is visible in the first xref & turned off in the second.

I bind insert both xrefs into a new drawing, the one with the layer turned on is top of the tree so it will bind first, what do you think will happen to the layer in the second xref that is turned off ?

When bound with the insert option both layers are merged to one layer called A-ANNO-DIMS even though they are in different blocks the layer that is turned off in the second xref will take on the properties of the layer in the first xref; in other words it will now be turned on!!

Try to keep your layers contained to a type of xref, try not to use the same layers in different xrefs, not easy I know. But i get around this by having dims (example) layers such as A-ANNO-DIMS-CLNG, A-ANNO-DIMS-FLOR for differant types of xrefs e.g. content.

Binding drawings is a pain in the backside anyway, try & use e-transmit, unless of course your client or whatever demands them! (as mine does)

Hope this helps

But as stated above read the help files as they explaine all you need to know really.

Thanks for your response, KiLLiNG-TiME :)

I do use e-transmit because I find it's the best way to combine files - but in this instance I was creating stage by stage designs.

Now ordinarily, we would have one model containing each of the seven stages, then show each stage in a layout of its own. However, I found that it was freezing my AutoCAD which meant I was constantly having to close it down. So I created a separate file for each stage - simple enough!

However, the procedures dictate that we must have all seven stages in one model - so I tried to copy/paste, but again that froze. Which is why I turned to creating an overall file then adding each individual stage as an XRef then binding it. And that's what brought me here :wink: