Xref draworder question

tarnoki

We have some drawings where we've xref'd floor plans of adjacent buildings and annotated it with leaders (in model space) inside of a master file (eg Bldg1-1st flr, Bldg2-1st flr, Bldg3-1st flr all xref'd into Master1stflr.dwg). The individual floor plans contain a hatch layer color coding each room on the plans indicating departmental ownership. The leaders are all drawn on one layer called MC-TEXT in the master file.

Our problem is the the leader annotations show up above the xref when drawn, but upon reloading the xref or re-opening the master file, the xref jumps to the front and covers up the leaders. I've tried to send the leaders to the front and the xref's to the back to no avail.

Is there a command I can apply the in the master drawing that will hold the draw order upon xref reloading?

Should I be pushing the xref's to the back or the leaders to the front?

Is there a way to set draworder of layers?

When invoking the draworder command, how do I call out a specific xref to push to back (without selecting the object with cursor...eg send Bldg1-1st flr xref to back)?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Steve

I've had this same problem with hatches. If a hatch is Sent to Back in the original drawing, then it looks like it's out in front when xrefed. It's as if xrefing reverses the draw order.

Yeah, you've found one of the shortcomings of XREFs. The closest I've gotten for draworder to work is for the current drawing session only. If I remember correctly, once I set the draworder in the referenced file, I had to detach and reattach it in the referencing file. Future drawing sessions may not have the draw order you set.

i know it's not the answer you're looking for but it might help: i use a button which someone gave me the macro to - sorry i forgot where i got it from!

^C^C^P(ssget "_X" '((0 . "HATCH")));draworder;p;;b;

maybe someone better than me can make this macro send xrefs to the back too? sorry if this is irrelevant / stupid / plaguerism

• 2 years later...

This issue is getting serious for me. I have areas of patched pavement with an asphalt hatch (Dots) and a patch hatch (Solid). One day the Solid hatch is on top, the next day it's the Dots (which should stay on top). I can't explain the issue to my boss because I'd have to explain the whole concept of draw order, and he rolls his eyes whenever an explanation takes more than 25 words.

Not only that, I have the xref/draw order thing going on. The building limits have a solid hatch in one plan, sent behind the architect's floor plan (another xref), and when that plan xrefs into the next one, the hatch is on top, hiding the floor plan. Unacceptable. How long has this bug been in there?

Have you tried applying an elevation to the hatches?

That sounds like a good work around Rob. :beer:

Might either of these system variables provide any relief?

MIGHT THIS OVERLAY BEHAVIOUR HELP.jpg

DRAW ORDER FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH.jpg

Have you tried applying an elevation to the hatches?

:facepalm: DOH!!! I used to do this all the time, but haven't in years, and thus forgot about it. Good call.

One thing I do is put all my x-refs on their own individual layer, then it's easy to draworder those layers where I need them. This works especially well for aerial photos and solid hatching when I want those behind everything else. I have the aerial photo and hatch in their own files, x-ref them in, and move them to the back. Works well.

The only downside is that, as I understand it, you cannot lock anything in place via draworder, so there's always a chance that it may get moved out of place. Which makes you verify the desired draworder on occasion.

:facepalm: DOH!!! Good call.

One thing I do is put all my x-refs on their own individual layer,

The only downside is that, as I understand it, you cannot lock anything in place via draworder, so there's always a chance that it may get moved out of place. Which makes you verify the desired draworder on occasion.

If you look at the SYSVDLG description of DRAWORDERCTL in post #7, you may want to try setting it to 3, which claims to (while risking editing speed) provide full draw order display and drawing order inheritance.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...