Arc with many points

StephanBotha

Hi!

I searched for this, but it only taught me how to make an arc with polylines, which is easy enough to do, but:

I am busy designing the layout for a ballroom for an event we're hosting. I am trying to place the tables in a semi-circle and therefor need to create an arc.

This was easy enough, but now I need to create an arc with many points so I can move my tables over the arc.

I use the arc to place my middle position of my table exactly over the arc so my tables can follow a precise layout throughout the ballroom.

A quick text drawing:

Imagine this line was an arc and the 0 is a table.

---0---0---0---0---0---

In order for me to move the tables exactly from their middle point to the arc, the arc needs points for the table to "snap" to.

If this makes any sense to anyone, please advise me how to create an arc that can do this.

That makes sense, if I knew how to do that.

Do you mind explaining how to measure an arc and then divide it into equal partitions?

I am rather new to AutoCAD (2009)

With MEASURE (type it on the commandline) you select an object and input how long each segment should be, hit enter and your get Points along the arc at each interval.

with DIVIDE you input how many segments you want, and get points at each node.

Use the NODE OSnap to snapt to the Points.

The MEASURE command will put points aloong an entity at a given distance. DIVIDE will put a given number of points, evenly spaced on an entity... I think DIVIDE is the one you want.

Draw your arc.

Invoke the DIVIDE command.

Select the arc.

Enter the number of points you want on the arc. it will evenly space them.

For clarity, set PDMODE to 3 in order to see the points, otherwise the points will be the size of a pixel...

Hi,

Thanks for that. It definitely got me going in the right direction. For some reason though, when I use DIVIDE, it doesnt create evenly spaced points. Some are much close to each other that others. I'll quickly upload a screenshot

ok i have done this and thanks. i was looking for how to do this to a drawing or to a simple line, but have a question. how do you make the points bigger say a .001 diameter circle