Mojoworld 3.1.1 Pro

Danny

I decided to start this thread to hopefully create some interest in a amazing program that has lost funding for further devleopment. Programmed by Dr Ken Musgrave. A brilliant fractal based planet/terrain generator. Download the demo and give it a try.

http://www.pandromeda.com/products/

The below image rendered in Mojoworld 3.1.1 with a Volumetric plug-in by Dmytry Lavrov. Both terrain surface and clouds are volumetric. Tweaked mjw file provide by Dmytry

Danny Gordon

Legend_DG.jpg

Edited by Danny

As a Computer Animation student, I used MojoWorld a lot.

A little history: It was originally 'enhanced' by funding from NASA, as they wanted a program that was capable of modeling the immense surface data collected from satellites around Mars. My instructor for this course worked with Dr. Musgrave on producing the Mars model that NASA uses today.

Completely customizable, everything from the elevation bands of the terrain, to the number of moons the planet has. A trained 'flyer' can take you on a trip around 'your' world, many people do not know the true capabilities of this application.

It works seamlessly with Maya, for exporting terrain model segments, which can be used in Maya animated models as an environment component, which can be assigned as a static surface for use with fields, and sprites (i.e. rain, etc.).

MojoWorld is a fantastic program!

Agreed it is, however there hasn't been any further devolpoment since the 2005 with the 3.1.1 upgrade. I used Terragen for a long time just started with TG VR 2 however there is no program around like Mojo. Its truly one of a kind. Love it. The demo is a full on version. Volumetric plug-in is still a beta, however the results speak for themselves

Agreed it is, however there hasn't been any further devolpoment since the 2005 with the 3.1.1 upgrade.

The last time I used Mojo, was just prior to Hurricane Charley in 2004, I was literally half way through a set of courses.

Then I was deployed for +/-two years of State Active (Hurricane) Duty orders, Counter Drug Program orders, and Federal Active Duty orders. By the time I got back to normal daily life, we moved to another city, and I had to find a new job.

So long Computer Animation, hello Civil Engineering.

You should try the viewer, I hear its fairly functional. And there are tons of planets 0n www.mojoworld.org to mess around with, not sure if you can get into the function graph editor, however I know you can load materials,change up lighting, add moons and 3d objects with it. I believe its free, could be wrong but I believe it is

I have an older version that came on a CD from a 3D magazine a few years ago. It seems to be very good at what it does. I did find the UI to be a bit complex but that could be just inexperience in using it.

I have an older version that came on a CD from a 3D magazine a few years ago. It seems to be very good at what it does. I did find the UI to be a bit complex but that could be just inexperience in using it.

The Interface is a bit detering at first glance. But once you get into it a bit it becomes alot easier. I have been using it for about 6 months solid and there are parts that just get my head spinning. Here was this weekend endeavour. 8 Hour render to get these crappy looking clouds. The render was so long because of the volumetric clouds and the low camera placement skimming the water. Some more tweaks and a moon in the upper right and this one is good to go

huduce.jpg

Nice work, Danny. The clouds aren't bad at all... besides, Mojo doesn't have to produce your final render... a little Photoshop action (Burn tool?) *should* yield the desired 'depth' result you're after. :wink:

Here was this weekend endeavour. 8 Hour render to get these crappy looking clouds. The render was so long because of the volumetric clouds and the low camera placement skimming the water.

Mojo is demanding, both in modeling time, and system performance (for rendering your scene).

In college, we had dedicated 'labs' for rendering our homework assignments, but they were insufficient. I made the investment in two workstations for home use as well. I had one workstation for modeling, texturing, video compositing, etc. and the second was purely a 24 hour render farm. We had to produce 30 seconds minimum per week of final rendered animation @ 30 FPS (Frames Per Second)... do the math :sweat: .

you are correct I have an array of cloud brushes to fix this, however with another render this will be resovled. The first image in this thread took 5 renders to get the clouds the way they are. What s__ks is with the volumetric plug-in your view is completely blurred out. So it's tough to see excatly what you are going to get with clouds and especially volumetric isosurfacing and mats

As far as rendering Mojo I wish it made use of a multi core processors. This adds the extra time in the render, however does give you the ability to work on set up for another project without really pushing my machine.

Edited by Danny
typo

Getting closer, I think I will just clean up the cloud issues with a brush, The asteroid (3d object in MOJO with major displacements) adds some drama to this image that the original lacked. This was another 10 hour render @ 2400 X 1600. Upper right is going to get some stars maybe some nebula work. In PH ! done rendering this damn thing. Not sure. Moving along though. critiques are welcomed

HUDUCE FINAL.jpg

Finished piece, darkened the atmo, re-rendered the clouds Postwork - added star field, brushed out the clouds, some motion blur to the terrain and water to simulate an incoming impact/shockwave. Thats it tired of looking at it :)

DEEP IMPACT_DG.jpg

Edited by Danny
addition information

• 1 year later...

Dear Danny and Renderman,

I hope this message finds the both of you well. The only reason i made an account on this site was to speak to both of you. I posted specifically on this thread because i wanted to talk to the two of you about mojoworld and being new here i have to post ten times before i can use the pm feature here. Please respond to me asap. If you can please reach me at dsmccurdy at hotmail dot com and put mojo in the thread.

Seems a bit spammy, "A"

If its not spam, heres a bit of advise Mojoworld is single threaded and no longer supported, pandromeda and mojo.org are OFF LINE. Mojoworld is very unique and its a shame you will never find another program like it. Sad to say, If you like programming type UIs go for Terragen v2. If not Vue or Bryce 7, got luck

• 8 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey I know this is an old thread but would anyone know how the world export works it spits out like 6 files I don't know what to do with. I had hoping to bring it into another 3d package would anyone know how. I've searched the depths of the Internet for this heck I even bought an old tech manual but they skip this feature