Dimension Text

sonic22

I'm having trouble with my dimensions. Whether I'm in model or paper space the text is tiny. It was originally 3/8", but even when I change the text size to 5" or 20" it remains small and unreadable. Any help understanding this

would be greatly appreciated.

The easiest way i know how to do it, is inside your dim style manager under the FIT tab put your "use overall scale of:' to whatever your VP scale is. Than under the TEXT tab put your text height to waht you want it to read like in paperspace ( in my case usualy 1/8 or .12) than just make sure your text style for the text you are using with your dims is set to 0.

This will multiply the text of the dimension by your scale. Example: If my drawing is set for a 20 scale than in modelsapce my dimension text will be 2.4 in height (.12 x 20)

if I lost you please let me know and I will try to walk you through it. The above suggestion is if your are dimensioning in modelspace.

wasnt exactly sure what you meant by "set style to zero". height? in the text style or is there a standard 0? I got it to sorta work, but I usually dim in paperspace so I'm not totally understanding.

thanks

instead of setting your "over scale" to your VP scale just set it to 1 and your text height to whatever size you want it to be in paperspace.

than in your text style manager select your text that you are using with your dims and make sure that the height is set to zero..

if your still getting confused I will post some screenshots

Set the red area to 1

test1.JPG

Set the Red area to what you want your text size to be in paperspace and make note of the text style you are using (blue circle)

test2.JPG

Select same text style as previous image and set the red area to 0

test3.JPG

Your text height should now be the correct size when you dimension

Once you setup a Dim Style to any scale, its easy to duplicate that Style for other scales ie 1/2", 1/4",1/8" =1'-0" and so on.

All you have to do is go to Dimension Style editor select New and in the Create New Dimension Box Select the Style you want to start with (the one you just setup), give the New Dim Style a name Click Continue then in the next box 'New Dimension Style' at the Fit Tab (shown above) just enter the Scale Factor in the Scale For Dimension Features and check the Use overall scale of box.

Above it is shown as 1.0000 so for a 1/4" scale it would be 48.000 for 1/2" 24.0000 and so on. Then your text arrow sizes etc will all be 'scaled' to your drawing.

You can also right click on any toolbar then click (check) on Dimension to show the Dim Tool Bar, dock it on your screen and then easily change between Dim Styles

Note: Morales02 reply above shows the "Modify" box make sure you click "New", not Modify, in the Dimension Style Editor box to creat another "New" Dim Style.