From 2009 to 2007. my text is massive x5! Interview soon

h792

Hi,

I have really got to grips with autocad, much due to the help of this forum. It's an invaluable resource, so thanks.

I have an interview next week (not for a cad technician, so I'm not meant to be an expert, but a surveying role) and am starting to feel very critical of my ability, as I need to show my use of cad and actively demonstrate using it.

1. I did some drawings on autocad 2009 (at home). Why, on autocad 2007, when I load my 2009 drawings, do I get, not just one dimension saying 30mm but about 5 overlapping and of different sizes?

2. Drawing scale factor has suddenly got me nervous. I used it to work out the size of my paperspace but do I have to also apply it to my text settings too? E.g is there somewhere where I say, ok this is a 1:50 drawing, therefore this text needs to come out xy size? I have just been using what seems to look right, clicking on the "fan" for annotative or not until it's "right" on the space.

3. For most firms, my cad ability at the mo would be seen as good enough, but these guys are really hot on it. Apart from not using layers (and inheriting propoerties of that layer in whole) and blocks, are there any other big no nos? I think they are modifying other people's cad drawings and they've found the other people have been getting really annoyed with the way things have been done.

4. I just realised, the model space I drew one drawing in (at full 1:1 size in model space, but set up so it comes out well on A2 at a 1:50 scale in layout space, was the same model space I used to do another construction detail that came out well at 1:20 in layout space. Does the change of scale mean that the 1:20 drawing is wrong? It just fitted so well on A2 when I adjusted the scale near the "fan" in 2009 in layout space

Thanks very much!

First not sure what is going on with question one.

As for number 2, I would first draw everything in model space at 1:1 scale as you did for number 4. Then when you go over to paper space create your view port and set the scale. Now you can then create your own dimension style. The dimension style can be setup with your text size of say 1/8th and you can modify any other specifics you need for dimensioning. I would then dimension the drawing in paper space. This would keep everything consistent, autocad well take care of giving the correct dimension distances based on the scale of the viewport, so you will not have to do it.

Let AutoCAD do the work for you. Use the help feature in AutoCAD for help with creating a dimension style. Or there are threads here I am sure that cover this subject as well.

Hope this helps some.

1. turn SAVEFIDELITY to 1

2. 1:50 scale, text to be plotted to .1" high, 50 X .1 = 5".

3.Other no-nos: not using osnaps, guessing when lining things up, non-ortho lines, angled lines guessed at. You do have a lot to learn about using AutoCAD, time to get a good book or take a class.

4.Not right or wrong, deciding on the correct plot scale has to do with industry standards, company standards, what makes sense to reasonably show what you want to show without it being too big or too small.

Thanks for your help.

2007 is a bit of an arse in comparison to 2009 which seems more intuitive for a beginner.

In 2009, the bottom right hand corner has a simple scale section, I click on 1:50, and my work in model space comes out in layout space as a perfect 1:50, or whatever I ask from a range of scales. Where is this in 2007?

Secondly, the command above, the fidelity one doesn't do anything in 2007?

Thirdly, even in layout space, my dimension numbers come out absolutely tiny in 2007, though I can see that's a brill tip for the future. Any ideas what's wrong?

Thanks for your help!!!

Howard.

Thanks for your help.

In 2009, the bottom right hand corner has a simple scale section, I click on 1:50, and my work in model space comes out in layout space as a perfect 1:50, or whatever I ask from a range of scales. Where is this in 2007?

Secondly, the command above, the fidelity one doesn't do anything in 2007?

Thirdly, even in layout space, my dimension numbers come out absolutely tiny in 2007, though I can see that's a brill tip for the future. Any ideas what's wrong?

Thanks for your help!!!

Howard.

You won't find the annotation scaling features in 2007.

The save fidelity is in 2009, set it, then save your file, then when opening in 2007 you shouldn't see the extra dims, etc.

In 2007 you must use the dimscale factor (set in the dimstyle dialog) to a scale factor appropriate for the intended plot scale. In your case, probably set it to 50. And go into Style, and set the text height to 0, even if it says 0, strike over it and retype 0.

Hey you sorted it, thanks!

However, when I'm in layout space in 2007, and I've got my "picture" in layout space roughly where I want it, how do i get it to proper 1:50 size, otherwise it's just a rough "best fit" scale? 2009 just scaled it for me but there's no scale near the annotation "fan" to click on and set.

Hey you sorted it, thanks!

However, when I'm in layout space in 2007, and I've got my "picture" in layout space roughly where I want it, how do i get it to proper 1:50 size, otherwise it's just a rough "best fit" scale? 2009 just scaled it for me but there's no scale near the annotation "fan" to click on and set.

You need to either get the Viewport palette showing where you will have the scale choices there for you, or while in a layout and in a viewport, zoom, and type 1/50XP, or while in a layout pick the viewport border, open properties and set the scale there (standard scale).

There is a viewports toolbar in 2007 that also has the scaling features like 2009. Right click on your toolbars to see a list of available toolbars and there should be one for viewports or layouts. I used this all the time and it saved me lots of time.

Regards,

Scott

Thanks for both of those. I couldn't get either to work though? My toolbars just seem to go to visual styles, nothing on layers or viewports? No pallette either? man, thanks goodnbess I didn't learn on this version first time round! "properties" doesn't mention anything on scales?

Ok for the toolbar in 2007, try going to the tools drop down menu. From there go to toolbars, autocad, then look for the viewports toolbar.

To set the scale using the Properties dialog box first select the viewport border. Once this is selected open the properties dialog box. Make sure that viewport is showing in the drop down in the properties dialog and then look under the Misc. section you should see Standard Scale and below that Custom Scale. Standard Scale will have preset choices of scales for you to chose from.

I just migrated from 2007 to 2009 and I used Viewports everyday so the toolbar and the properties do work.

Regards,

Scott

Sounds like the view ports display is locked. Select the viewport border and right click. About 5 or 6 lines from the top of the right click menu you should see a selection for Display Locked. If yes is selected it will not let you rescale or adjust the view. You have to select no first. Now go back into your viewport and you should be able to scale the view as needed.