3d modeling problem

Maverick2805

Hello everybody

I am trying out Auto Cad but am struggling with 3d modeling. I am trying to modle a carronade. There I wanted to start out with the wheels, where my first problem starts :D I tried to look through several tutorials (after several hours of video tutorials, 2D work is no problem at all, I understand the basics there)

To my problem, how can I draw a cylinder in the Z,Y space. The circle should be seen in the Z,Y space (Cube shows RIGHT). and the wheel should extrude into the X axis. I only can achieve a cilinder with the base on the X,Y plane, to extrude on the Z axis.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Cheers Mav

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maverick2805

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• dumfatnhappy

You will want to learn about manipulating the User Coordinate System (UCS).

The easiest way for a beginner might be to create a solid cube and with Dynamic UCS active start your geometry on the desired face of the cube. You can then delete the cube or hide it on a hidden layer.

Check out JDM's tutorials re: AutoCAD 2007 on his website too.

In the meantime, can you post an image of what you are trying to draw? Carronades were manufactured in different configurations.

Thanks for the quick answers, will check the tutorials later this evening. The tip with the cube is good, however it might be difficult to complete the complex model like this :-)

So i guess I have to find out how modify the UCS.

I hope I'll learn soon how to do it, it sounds complicated ;-)

Cheers Mav

I have found the Tutorial about the UCS, however I am desperately lost :) all the time I am trying to define with the three point the output is some strange crooked view :) when I try to move the axis, the cube jumps back to top view, or when I try to define a new UCS, it also jumped back to the TOP view.

What am I doing wrong? If I wouldn't need the 3d for the visualization I'd go back to 2d. But I hope I can manage it with your help, as it seems i'm too stupid to understand this :)

oh, another Question, looking at the picture in the link below, there is the side view of the carriage of the carronade, top right next to F1/2. Let's say, i'll start to draw the wheel near the origin, in what view would I need to do this, "RIGHT" isn't that correct.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/8712/24pdrgun.jpg

Thanks for your patience, hope I don't have to bother you a lot more after this :)

To draw that side view your UCS would have X pointing to the right, Y would point towards the top of your screen and Z would point in your direction.

Instead of the ViewCube or NavCube or whatever it's called have you tried using the Dynamic UCS?

If I were to do this using the "old" keyboard method, the way to get the UCSicon to look as I described, I would use the UCS command, with the "X" option and accept the default of "90".

Maybe you should have started your journey into the 3D realm with something smaller and a bit simpler. Why this? I can see a couple of places where you are going to struggle.

Edited by ReMark

The following was done to illustrate a point. It is not to scale.

3D Carronade wheel.jpg

Image above uses a visual style of 2D wireframe.

So you see we have started with two very simple circles and have used either Extrude of PressPull to give them some depth. The first large wheel is copied to mimic what your image depicts. Another smaller circle is located on the portion of the axle (in red) that protrudes. This circle (green) is extruded downward then it is subtracted from the axle thus leaving us with a hole. My UCS for the entire series of steps was either as I previously described (with Y pointing at the top of the screen) or in its normal position with Z pointing at the top of the screen.

Almost all of your design (perhaps all) could be done without regard for the ucs.

Simply model all of the parts in the current ucs and then use the align or 3dalign command to assemble the parts - just like the real world.

Looks like about 3o minutes work. :)

Maybe you, JDM, could illustrate this point for the OP? I'm pretty sure he has no idea what you're referring to. He's still struggling with the NavCube.

Wow, thanks for your help, this sounds quite complicated ;-) im on the road at the moment, but will try to follow your instructions when Im back at home. I hope its not as depressing as it looks at the moment :-) how quickly and easy youcan do that :-)

But again, thanks for your help

It will require some effort but it is not complicated. I wouldn't get depressed over it either. There will always be some measure of disappointment / discouragement when first delving into 3D modeling. People like JD Mather and others make it look easy to do because they have been doing it longer than yourself. In time you'll be viewed in the same way by another 3D AutoCAD newbie down the road. Our task is to try to get you there. OK?

In the meantime you can take advantage of the built in Help that AutoCAD offers to get background information about commands and how they are used. This will also acquaint you with the terminology as well.

Thanks for your help :) I know what you are talking about from other programs :) there'll always be some frustration in the process.

Now the reason behind for example this carronade is (I wrote this before, but somehow the post could not be displayed until a moderatore has released it) that I want to build a sailship in the scale of 1:33. For this i want to have a visualization of the parts before building, in addition it should serve as a buildingplan with all the measurements needed. (hope this was understandable in my bad English :oops:)

The part with the UCS I still didn't understand, I hope you don't think I'm too stupid ;-) in the next post I'll try to explain the troubles I have.

That's the basic setup when I load the 3diso template, with Top labeled on the View Cube. Am I correct, that this would be the View for drawing the view of F1/2 bottom right?

And the one that is circled, is the area where I should do the UCS manipulations?

Top View.jpg

Now if I click onto right on this view cube, I'll get the view from the right, however the axes are not correct as you stated earlier.

View Right.jpg

Could you be so kind to tell me step by step which icons I have to press that I get to that view?

What JD Mather suggested, is that somehow, drawing the wheel in the top view and then tilt it 90° so that it would be then round in the view from the right?

Sorry if I am a nuisance, then I'll stop bothering you!

I think I might have understood how at least the 3 point UCS modification works :)

How does this look like? I still need to do several things, i know, making the hole into the square block, making a hole into the Wheel, etc. But for this I have to go through some tutorials first ;-)

First Step.jpg

First Step (X-Rax).jpg

For those who also read this thread and are noobs like me, I first created the block, when finished, i clicked in the ribbon --> coordinates onto 3 point, and selected the lower left corner as origin, the lower right corner as point on the x axis, and the top left corner as point on the y axis, then I could start drawing cylinders the way I needed it. (a Pro would probably explain this differently ;-) )

And now with all the holes in the respective part, the back axle is finished :) but now the difficult Part starts with the rest of the carronade ;-)

thanks again for your help! Much appreciated

Back Axle finished.jpg

Back Axle finished (solid).jpg

I'm not a big fan of the NAVVCUBE so I rarely use it if at all.

You are working in the 3D Modeling workspace are you not? And you are using the Ribbon right? The answer to both questions should be "Yes".

Look on the Home tab. On the View panel you have the option to see the top, front, side, etc. views. With Dynamic UCS enabled you can activate a face to draw on. It takes a little practice to get used to how this feature works but once you get the hang of it you won't have to manipulate the UCS via the keyboard.

In your last image above I think the peg that keeps the wheel from sliding off the axle is located too close to the wheel. You can use the Move Faces command to slide it away from the wheel to gain a bit more clearance. It looks like you are making some progress. Keep it up.

Sorry I could not respond sooner to your questions. I'm doing a true 3D project myself...installing a new ceiling in my front hall! LOL I'd rather be doing it in CAD. Sheetrock can get heavy working overhead at a height of nine feet. I'll check back later today if I can but I've got to get back to work. Got to tape the seams and install the corner bead. Fun, fun, fun!