3d modeling problem

Maverick2805

No worries I'm glad that I get help from you in any case.

As this is "just" a hobby for me I am not time pressured anyway.

I have to check how i can move the hole in the axle. Every command i didnt use befor is at first complicated to find and then use ;-) but I already used chamfer, mirror successfully ;-) and when you know how you can do things easier it is more fun to work :-)

Next step will be the front wheelwork, then the side walls, which will start to be complicated, as they are not in a 90 degree angle ;-) my idea was to build a tilted box for the whole length and then substract all the steps with boxes and circles, etc. Then mirror everything to the other side.

Then the "barrel" (dunnonif thats the correct English term) will be difficult for me i think :-) will see hoe ill manage that :-)

Good luck with the building, i am only capable of buolding small stuff, with big things I've got two left hands :-))

Cheers mav

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maverick2805

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• dumfatnhappy

The hole in the axle can be moved using the Move Faces command and the peg can be moved using the normal Move command.

You can create a profile of one side using lines or polylines then use either the PressPull command (with the lines) or the Extrude command (with the polylines). Keep in mind the sides are at angle as you can see in the top view.

You might try drawing a half-profile of the cannon's barrel then use the SWEEP command to create the object as a solid.

Ah, i see. I have a question though, i tried to do it this way, drew some

Lines lets say a rectangle and then used the extrude command, then i just got walls, but no "roof" and "floor". Dont know why though ;-) probably Im doing something wrongly.

A rectangle created with line segments, when Extruded, will just produce 4 Surfaces. Either join the line segments together with the PEDIT command and then Extrude, or just use the PRESSPULL command with the line segments to create a Solid.

Thanks Cad64 for this input, will try that next.

One question, where can I turn dynamic UCS on? I think that would make things a lot easier :)

I drew the Sidewalls with single lines, but now I am struggling with the either PEDIT or Press pull, with both I seem to make mistakes. With presspull, it tells me that no regions are found. With PEDIT, selecting with multiple all the lines, the choice I would assume is close? but that doesn't work, the cursor just jumps around and gives me all the options again.

Here is what I have done so far

Sidewall Step 1.jpg

I rotated all the lines in a 3 degree angle.

Sidewall Step 2.jpg

There is a button at the bottom of the screen that will turn the Dynamic UCS On/OFF. Hover above the buttons with your mouse and a Tool Tip will identify the right one.

If you used lines to create the outline or profile of one of the sides then you should use the PressPull command to extrude it.

If you used Polylines then the entire profile must be one continuous polyline. Using the Pedit command with the Join option should give you the desired result. Then use the Extrude command on it.

Either way your UCS must be oriented correctly to achieve the depth you need. By the way, your profile is at an angle maybe your UCS should be at an angle too (rotated around the Z axis)?

Maybe the image below will be of some help.

I drew a rough approximation of the outline (profile) of the carronade using lines (black) and using polylines (red).

To give the lines depth I then used the PressPull command.

To give the polylines (Pedit used to make one continuous polyline) I used the Extrude command.

As you can see the results of both methods are the same.

I rotated one of the 3D solids so it was standing up. Then I rotated it again at a 5 deg angle. I mirrored the object to acheive an approximation of the top view of the carronade sides as seen in your image (F1/2).

Carronade side.jpg

Edited by ReMark
spelling

Top view of carronade sides.

Carronade top.jpg

Note: Neither this image or the one above where done to scale. They are an approximation of the general shape only.

I think I am geting the hang of the Views and UCS, the dynamic UCS not yet :) but it'll come.

I managed to understand building things with Poly Lines, that's the result! Thanks for all your help ;-)

Sidewalls finals (solid).jpg

Sidewalls finals.jpg

Another Question though, the subtracting thingy, for taking out the parts where the axletrees cross the sidewalls, is there a possibility to substract the area in the sidewall, but that the axletrees will remain there and not get deleted? Before I copied them away, substracted the part and moved them back again, it's a bit of a pain and I'm sure it works somehow easier ;-)

I've started with the barrel, does this need to be polylines as well to revolve around a centerline, or can it be normal lines?

Thanks again for your patience

esiest way to make a barrel (perhaps) is throw down some circles realizing the contour desired...... using the LOFT command pick them in order and it's done

loft.jpg

Re: Subtracting out axletrees (?) from sides. I'd do it the way you mentioned (make copy, subtract, move copy back in place). Only because of the angle (not perpendicular).

The cannon's barrel could be done using Loft as df&h has suggested above but I think you'll find that some of the detail will be difficult to reproduce this way. I'd suggest a half-profile down the length of the cannon's barrel. Keep in mind this will be tapered. This profile could then be revolved as you indicated. You'll have to subtract a cylinder representing the bore if you do not incorporate it into your half-profile.

That's what it says in my book ;-) the block around the axle. Okay, I'll do it with the copy, and move back way. Thought, it'd probably work a bit easier ;-)

Yes I think it would be difficult to get all the details of the cannon's barrel the way df&h has described.

I will draw the half profile, and then I'll see if I can get a nice barrel.

What I don't know yet is if I want to make the end product, the finished ship with movable parts, as in the cannon could "shoot" out smoke, or the sails could be raised, etc. This would mean a different approach in building the canon :D and also a lot more work in the end, drawing wise and building wise.

I'm not sure if scale 1:33 would be too small for such mechanics :D Difficult to tell. I have a model of the USS Constitution in 1:96, which amazes me how detailed it can already be, so I thought it should be possible to do movable parts to some extent in 1:33. This would mean a height of 2.03 meters and lenght of 2.68m. But the with is only 40cm, which is not too much space anymore :)

I am working on the barrel of the carronade, wondering if it'll work the way I want :D

Barrel 1.jpg