click on a profile

kc27315

I opened up an drawing (not sure who the author is. I noticed that an existing profile doesn't seem to match the surface. I clicked on the profile, and it shows hundreds of triangles and squares all over it. Although the properties window says it's a profile, it seems more like a polyline to me. I went ahead and had Civil 3d draw in the correct existing profile from the surface, and when I click on it, it just dashes the lines of the profile just like I'm used to.

My question is, how did the bad profile get there, and what does it mean when I see the triangles and squares at the pvi's, etc?

I've attached screen shots of what it looks like when I click on the bad profile or the good profile. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

kc

good profile.jpg

bad profile.jpg

I did a list on it, and this is what it says:

Command: li

LIST

Select objects: 1 found

Select objects:

AECC_PROFILE Layer: "0"

Space: Model space

Handle = 401057

Name : Park Lane - XG

Type : Surface

Description :

Type : AeccDbVAlignment

Style : Existing Ground

I don't know if it was from a surface that someone deleted or something--and the profile somehow stayed and turned polyline-like??

Has anyone else seen a profile that when you click on it, it shows blue and red triangles and blue squares? If so, did you do anything special to the surface or profile to make it do that?

Thanks,

kc

Maybe you're right. That looks like a lot of work carefully plotting each point. There's hundreds of points they'd have to put in if they had created it by layout.

Thanks,

kc

You're tellin me. If it doesn't match the eg surface I'd scrap it (considering you can't talk to the person who created it to find out what the heck they were doing) and move on.

Guess what? I found out that if you have used a surface to draw a profile, and then DELETE the surface, the profile stays there, but it is static instead of dynamic. When it becomes static, the blue and red triangles and squares appear when you click on it. That makes total sense now what had happened.

Thanks

kc

I'll bet the person that worked on it before either did something with the surface (like move it horizontally) or move the alignment or something. Maybe they had a couple of surfaces and were'nt sure at first which one was correct and then changed thier mind or something.

thanks again,

kc