Can not delete blocks not being used

an3rocas

Hello;

I am having trouble with blocks that I am not using anymore in my file.

I have inserted blocks from other files using design center, dragging it to my new file. In my new file I exploded the blocks. It doesn´t let me purge it, and it still appears in the design center of my new file, eventhough it is not in the file any more, since I exploded it. I have tons of blocks that I can not purge, and the size of my file is huge.

I have been using design center because copy and pasting was giving me trouble because of some ".dot block duplicated" alert, and was taking a lot of time for pasting.

thanks for any help..

FYI - Just because you've exploded the block within the model itself, does not remove the block instance from the table record. It simply explodes that one, single entity. Once all of those blocks have been exploded you *should* be able to purge that block instance from the drawing... assuming there is not a layer that also requires being purged. In some cases, the layer needs to be purged before you can purge the block.

Especially if your drawing file is huge, consider using purge all.

Edit:

Be sure you have selected the box for 'Purge nested items'

Hope this helps!

I exploded the block.

I used purge, and the block appears in the "items can not purge".

I don´t understand why.

It happens only with the blocks that I inserted using Design center, dragging the block from another file.

Can´t figure out why.

Thanks for your help....

I exploded the block.

I used purge, and the block appears in the "items can not purge".

I don´t understand why.

It happens only with the blocks that I inserted using Design center, dragging the block from another file.

Can´t figure out why.

Thanks for your help....

Thanking me for my help, would imply you've actually tried my suggestion :ouch: ... to reiterate, re-read my first post. o:)

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the same problem. I've tried the purge all, purge nested items, and every other type of purge application I could think of. I purged all the regapps, the scale lists the layers etc. The blocks and layers still show up in the unpurgable objects in the purge dialog box. My drawing is completely empty as far as I can "see" and the blocks are still there. My drawing file is 12megs with nothing I can see in it.

I'm using Civil3D 2010. If the previous poster found and answer I'd like to hear it, thanks!

when i encounter this kind of situation i use qselect to see if i can select the blocks based on the name and if that doesn't work i will then try to copy the file into a clean drawing. if you haven't used qselect than give it a try. you can sort the object type by block reference and than further narrow the selection by the name of the block. you may find an invisible object and only see the grip at which point you should be able to delete it and than purge out what you need.