Exposure control for R.T.T

spittle

Anyone know what exposure control settings that should be used when baking a complete map onto geometry?

Lighting: daylight system, mr sun, mr physical sky. Using FG.

Once baked, all of the above is switched off, with map placed in self ill. slot.

I want to match my pre-baked render as close as possible and used mr Photographic exposure control during baking.

Problem is - I've tried rendering the baked scene with/without exposure control. Without, it looks too dark and with, it looks a little washed out.

Either way - it's not matching my pre-baked scene that used mr photographic exp control.

Well, I don't have much experience with material baking, but I'm wondering if you have your "Gamma/LUT Correction" enabled and set correctly? You can find it in your Preferences > Gamma and LUT tab. If you're rendering using the daylight system, it's important to have this enabled and set correctly so that your renders don't have that "washed out" appearance.

Funny you should mention that - gamma is on the list of things to learn this weekend after it seemed like a likley candidate for the problem. I've been a bit ignorant and ignored it up until now.

Turns out it wasn't so simple! Whilst the render frame window showing the baked texture looks great, I can't work out what output gamma I need for saving the baked map. And what gamma input I need to use when plugging the baled map into the self illumination slot. I'm struggling to even save the render buffer window out to a format so it looks the same as it does in the buffer.

• 2 weeks later...

Solution:

This isn't a problem with exposure control. Leaves are double sided so you need to render out a map for each side. Seems pretty obvious now!:)