Hatching over X-refs.

Glen1980

Recently my copy of 2010LT has decided that it will ignore X-refs as valid boundaries when I am hatching. This is quite annoying as I am now having to draw non printable polylines over x-refs which rather defeats the object of x-refs.

Does anyone know a command that will tell boundary hatch to recognize the x-refs?

If it makes any difference the X-refs are attached and not overlaid.

from the Czech Cad Forum:

Normally, you can use xref entities (objects) as hatch boundaries for associative hatching using "inside" points. If you get "no valid boundary" messages trying to hatch with xref boundaries, your xref is probably too complicated or it is clipped. It is not possible to use clipped xrefs (XClip, XrefClip) os hatch boundaries. You can also try to simplify the boundaries by switching off excess layers, or you can RefEdit of the xref, or just NCOPY the relevant objects from xref to the main drawing.

Cheers guys, the x-refs I'm trying to hatch have been clipped to reduce the number of viewports I need in the paperspace so I'll just un clip whilst I am hatching.

COuldn't use the ncopy command as I've had to drop back to LT but the boundary command seems like a good tool to use in the future.

Cheers guys, the x-refs I'm trying to hatch have been clipped to reduce the number of viewports I need in the paperspace so I'll just un clip whilst I am hatching.

COuldn't use the ncopy command as I've had to drop back to LT but the boundary command seems like a good tool to use in the future.

You're welcome. :)

FYI - Clipping of an XREF (in model space), has no bearing on the number of viewports needed (in paper space). Only what is within the viewport window is displayed... everything outside of that is already hidden.

We used to clip XREF's also back in the day, but quickly appreciated the benefits of not doing so... less production time spent clipping XREF's, less headaches while working (as this thread illustrates), etc.

Cheers! :beer:

The way we work (for better or worse) is to clip the X-refs of large floor plans to only show, for example, the bathrooms or kitchens being detailed on a particular drawing file so it is easier to find which of the 10+ bathrooms per floor is the right one.

This drawing I'm doing at the moment is a long section through the apartment block and has all the elevations surrounding the section and all the detrius that builds up when you are working out building details. Clipping it allows me to hide the other guys mess and put everything into one viewport on Paper space. I have such a phenominally rubbish computer too many viewports slows CAD down!

Edited by Glen1980
Poor spelling and punctuation :)