Copying Floor Plans (paper) to an AutoCAD dwg

bluepepper

Hello!

My dad has given me floor plans in blueprint paper and he wants me to draw / copy them in AutoCAD.

I've have learnt here that you should always draw 1:1 in model space and adjust the scale later on in paper space.

My problem is that the floor plans are printed in a scale of 1:75 meters.

- so how should I draw / copy them (use a ruler? :unsure:)

- and what units will I use to draw the lines?

:oops:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• eldon

• bluepepper

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nevermind. I figured it out myself :D

I'll use an architect's scale.

I'll measure the lines using a 1/300m scale then divide the measurement by 4 to get 1/75m.

:shock:

You shouldn't be measuring anything. The floor plans should be fully dimensioned to begin with.

Unless, by "floor plans on blueprint paper" he means something like real estate marteting floor plans which typically just have room sizes. But ReMark's correct, if it's a construction document plan it should be fully dimensioned and no need for scaling.

As an aside, if there is a need for scaling as there is with marketing drawings, I've found it far easier to enlarge/reduce the marketing drawing to a standard scale (typically 1/4" or 1/8" here) and forget the "divide" step.

Doug

As an aside, if there is a need for scaling as there is with marketing drawings, I've found it far easier to enlarge/reduce the marketing drawing to a standard scale (typically 1/4" or 1/8" here) and forget the "divide" step.

Or even purchase a scale ruler with the required scale of 1 : 75. Straightforward scaling then.

If I was you, In model space I would draw the entire drawing using the measurements taken at 1:1 (ie 1cm on the blueprint equals 1cm in the drawing) from the blueprints your Dad gave you. Once I had the drawing finished I would then scale your entire drawing up by a factor of 75. This would eliminate any need for you to manually scale the drawing.

Rule number one in the building industry - NEVER measure a blueprint. Most tradespeople that have been bitten by violating that one live by the rule from then on.

I spent more than 10 years drawing house plans on paper. I bet at least half of them contained "Adjusted" placements that were handled by changing the dimensions rather than the drawing. When you have 1 hour to move all your windows 3" to the left, things get streamlined.:lol: Erasing 5 dimensions and replacing them is much more eficient than erasing 4 windows and doors.

All these tales of doom and gloom are all very well theoretically, but not much help to the OP doing what his Dad told him. :cry:

bluepepper, stick with scaling, and draw at 1 to 1 using units of metre. :D

Disagree. Do not scale unless you absolutely have to. Use the dimensions on the floor plan. Anyway, who draws up a floor plan without dimensions on it? Practically useless in my opinion.

At a scale of 1:75 how accurate is scaling going to be anyway?

Sounds like Dad gave son some busy work to keep him out of his hair for a while. LOL

Disagree. Do not scale unless you absolutely have to. Use the dimensions on the floor plan.

In the absence of dimensions, the OP absolutely has to scale. How else can he draw anything?

Anyway, who draws up a floor plan without dimensions on it? Practically useless in my opinion.

There are some useless folk about :shock:

But I would not advocate scaling from a blueprint in general, because paper distorts unevenly. And then with the odd coffee mug stain, and a few burn holes from cigarettes, ........

All these tales of doom and gloom are all very well theoretically, but not much help to the OP doing what his Dad told him. :cry:

bluepepper, stick with scaling, and draw at 1 to 1 using units of metre. :D

:whistle:Not tales - FACT - Never measure a drawing. Use the dimensions, if they are there.o:)

Where did the OP mention that the dimensions were missing?

If they are missing, then measure the drawing, of course.

Where did the OP mention that the dimensions were missing?

I was just trying to encourage the OP, whilst there was a torrent of discouragement from everyone else.

One would assume that there were no dimensions, because why scale if there were dimensions :o And this Forum is very good at assuming things otherwise much of the advice would not be forthcoming :cry:

Never measure a drawing. Use the dimensions.

If they are missing, then measure the drawing.

And there you are contradicting yourself :shock:

The morale of the story is give advice only if you do not assume anything?

No there is no moral. Let everyone give advice to their ability and knowledge, and let the OP sort out the wheat from the chaff. Don't everyone jump in and pour scorn on some advice, otherwise no one is going to suggest something, however weird, that might just be the best solution.