Tutorial: Error Handling

Lee Mac

Following my earlier tutorial here, I've just uploaded my latest tutorial on the topic of Error Handling.

The tutorial can be found here.

As always, I welcome any feedback you might have, including: suggestions for improvement, questions about the content, or any mistakes that are found.

Enjoy,

Lee

Edited by Lee Mac

Crackin' tutorials Lee,

If you don't mind me suggesting Ithink the What are the consequences could be a bit more dogmatic.

Back in the day before I started ****-retentive localisation this caused me endless hours of unnecessary debugging, rewrites etc.

Aside from the list expansion problem provided there's also the nasty "Many functions - mixed-scope single variable name" problem that can take a lifetime to rectify on large projects.

Hehe in all I'm suggesting you change the section to simply "you will die, the sun will follow"

Ollie.

Crackin' tutorials Lee,

If you don't mind me suggesting Ithink the What are the consequences could be a bit more dogmatic.

Back in the day before I started ****-retentive localisation this caused me endless hours of unnecessary debugging, rewrites etc.

Aside from the list expansion problem provided there's also the nasty "Many functions - mixed-scope single variable name" problem that can take a lifetime to rectify on large projects.

Hehe in all I'm suggesting you change the section to simply "you will die, the sun will follow"

Thanks for the suggestions Ollie, I see your point about making the 'What are the consequences' more dogmatic, but I did want to keep the tutorial upbeat/light. I suppose when a user has to spend a few hours debugging due to localisation issues they might then understand just how important it is :twisted:

Slightly off topic.

Just had a wee go with the fern::fractal script; it is fantastic.

Thanks Ollie, glad you like it - I really enjoy writing the mathematical programs, only they aren't too practical...