xrefs and annotative objects disappearing

its_ikon

I've been having this issue for a while, but can't figure out why AutoCAD is doing this and I can't locate another thread with the same issue. I am using 2010 and when I am on my sheet or viewing my database through a viewport annotative objects tend to disappear and it happens randomly. It's only a few objects that will disappear while others are shown. Example: My grid bubbles may disappear, but leaders, text, dimensions, etc are visible. Another example is door or window tags may disappear while grid, leaders, etc are all shown and when they don't show up they also don't print. Reloading the xref doesn't bring them back also. I have to physically go into the database and make some kind of change (erase a line and than undo; draw a line and than delete it; change a scale, anything); save the drawing and then go to my sheet and reload the xref to get them to come back. It's driving me crazy, so if there's any solution to this it would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• qball

• its_ikon

• DANIEL

• CyberAngel

close to 50 views and no one knows about this? i know there was someone on augi with a similar issue, but of course that has since been wiped away.

• 4 months later...

Just to eliminate the obvious, have you tried REGENALL? Does this behavior happen after saving and reloading a drawing? Have you run a PURGE on the xrefed drawing?

If I drag or cut and paste objects from one file to another this happens. Close and open the drawing and they reappear. Mild nuisance. I have no solution.

• 3 weeks later...

the office i work at is still experiencing this although it seems to be on a smaller scale or just not noticed by the user. i've tried everything, but can't figure this out. i've played with the graphics card, graphic settings in autocad, restarted autocad, restarted the computer, regen, miscellaneous display variables, etc. it will stay gone until the database was purged (even nothing needs to be purged) or a scalelistedit is done. i am beginning to think it's something with the computer or operating system because it will usually open correctly on my computer which is slightly better than others. i can't upload the drawing because of privacy issues and the problem may not even happen when you open it. usually can just do a purge or scalelistedit in the database that is not showing the information on the sheet and then the user can reload the xref and the information is back. the part that screws me up is that it's only a one annotative block and not all of the annotative blocks. ex: all the grid bubbles don't show up, but the dimensions, room tags or height tags will display even though they're the same annotation scale. it happens on open or if someone is in the database the make a change and then go to the sheet and reload the xref and they can see the information disappear.

won't work. I tried renaming the block that was disappearing and inserting a clean block and it will still do it. i don't think it's the block either since it will show correctly on my computer. the big issue that this raises is that if it doesn't show up on the computer that is publishing the set, then the block will not print even though it's there. i've had a hard time getting answers from Autodesk or another CAD support company because it's hard to replicate and hard to explain.

If you have to edit the scale list to make them display, the annotative objects may be your problem. They've always been notoriously buggy. I'll do anything to avoid using annotative text.

Have you tried redefining the blocks with non-annotative attributes? If you absolutely must have two scales, can you define two blocks or two sets of attributes and put them on different layers?

Have you tried Synchronizing Multiple Scales? If the objects were dragged around using grips instead of the move command sometimes they are so far away from each other on different scales that they can be out of your viewport. We had an issue with a grid on a building at our office and synching them all solved it.

You do realize the original post is from December 8th, 2010.

how can you tell? there no longer seems to be any sort of post header with this information?

how can you tell? there no longer seems to be any sort of post header with this information?

There's a thread floating around somewhere here on Compatibility View. It seems writing code in a thread makes Internet Explorer convert to compatibility mode which is why that header is gone. Tools > Compatibility View.

There's a thread floating around somewhere here on Compatibility View. It seems writing code in a thread makes Internet Explorer convert to compatibility mode which is why that header is gone. Tools > Compatibility View.

i dont see any compatibility view under tools anywhere.

The problem is with your browser (IE 7). Try upgrading to IE 8 or switch to Firefox.

I have the problem with IE8