Can't select text in whichever space I previously saved in

Has anyone had this problem with selecting text? I use AutoCAD 2005, and I've made project logs which contain mtext for logging work I do each day, and tables for logging Revisions and prints and whatnot related to the project. I've noticed, especially since adding the tables to the log template, that sometimes I cannot select the mtext, but if I go to paperspace and doubleclick in a viewport, I can select it, and once I do that, and move the text and then move it back, I can go back to modelspace and select it just fine. Right now I have one particular project log dwg file that does this every time I open it, and if I save the drawing in modelspace, the next time I open it, I have the problem in modelspace, but if I save it in paperspace, it's the other way around and I can select it in modelspace. Does this have something to do with a bug in the tables? The problems seemed to have started once I implemented the tables. I've also noticed that when I layiso defpoints, I can't select anything on defpoints; I'm not sure if that's related or not.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

AutoCAD 2005? Did you download and install all service packs as they became available?

This problem is unique to just the one drawing or does it occur in all drawings where tables have been implemented?

Can you post the drawing you are having the problem with so we can try it out ourselves (strip out anything that isn't pertinent to the problem, purge it then save it under a new name).

Thanks for your quick responses.

I haven't installed any service packs, but I don't think anything is available from Autodesk for versions this old, anyway. :\

Qsave doesn't have any effect on the problem.

I tried attaching the drawing, but everytime I do it just refreshes this page and I lose everything I've typed and it says "this tab has been recovered".

You should have installed any/all service packs and hotfixes after loading the software and before using it. What were you thinking?

Service Pack 1 for AutoCAD 2005 can be found here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=4598395&linkID=9240618

For future reference. There might be one or two problems you run into that were addressed by AutoDesk. The remainder will not apply to you.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?siteID=123112&id=2334435&linkID=9240618#section7

Ok, thanks. I started working here in 2007 and I didn't install the program. Well actually, I have 2005 at home, too, but I just was never aware of service packs and never had any problems I didn't figure out myself or on forums, or just work around.

Take your drawing and erase the vast majority of it but leave some text, your layout, and a viewport. Then save it under a different name and post it here so we can play with it.

Not aware of service packs? OK...that's a good one. You got me there. LOL

I tried attaching the drawing, but everytime I tried clicking attach, it just would refresh the page and I'd lose all my reply text and it would say the webpage tab had been recovered. I did check the service pack status, though, using the "about" command in CAD, and it said "0" in the service pack field, so I maybe if I install that, it'll fix the problem.

And maybe it won't. I'm betting it won't.

To attach a drawing you have to click on the Go Advanced button then look for the Paperclip on the next page. The drawing has to be uploaded then inserted.

Yes, that's where I was. When I click the Attach (paperclip) button, it just freezes for a minute, then refreshes the page.

Curses...foiled again.

You did not answer the question about whether or not this problem occurs in any other drawing where you have used a table. This isn't an Excel spreadsheet you attached as an OLE object is it? How was the table constructed?

Lol. Oh, sorry. As far as which drawings it does it in, the only consistency has been in the latest template, and other files that are for specific projects seem to have the problem periodically, I haven't really noticed how consistent it is among them. But the tables I created in CAD with the "table" command.

Eh.... lol. Yeah, it's Verdana, so I guess it's True Type. This file is only for my personal use, anyway, so I don't use the typical architectural "simplex" and "archstyl" fonts. Does that cause glitches?? There aren't SHX fonts for Korean, are there? I sometimes type in that in my logs.

It's just a personal thing. TrueType fonts were developed for the word processing software packages because everyone wanted "pretty" fonts. They're OK for logos and such but I feel they have no place in design drawings. I do not know for a fact that it has anything to do with the type of font you are using but you could easily test the theory.

Yeah, I only use simplex and archstyl in our design drawings, with the exception of a few places in titleblocks and coversheets, but notes to myself I always prefer Verdana, but I'll try changing my log template to a comparable shx font and see if that fixes it. Thanks a lot for your help!

There is a known problem with TTF font's sometimes becoming unselectable. We use Arial for our text, and this has been a problem in the past but I've just typed in QSAVE and all the text became selectable again. I think you have to actually type it in the command line rather than clicking on a button.

There is a known problem with TTF font's sometimes becoming unselectable. We use Arial for our text, and this has been a problem in the past but I've just typed in QSAVE and all the text became selectable again. I think you have to actually type it in the command line rather than clicking on a button.

I, for one, have not heard of this problem before now. That seems odd to say the least. Thanks for the info.

• 2 years later...

I don't know if you figured out the layiso defpoints issue, as this post is now fairly old, but if you layiso defpoints and want to select you need layer "0" to be turned on to select.