Anyone using Civil 3D Land Desktop Companion 2009 with Windows 7?

lstarbird

We're currently reviewing our upgrade path options since our workstations are about 4-5 years old & running Windows XP with Land Desktop 2007. Since Land Desktop 2007 isn't supported on Windows 7 & we're not ready to dive into Civil 3D, it looks like our only option is to use LD 2009 with Windows 7. When talking to our reseller/trainer, they mentioned that LD 2007 was the last "quality" build of LD & had expereienced some weird little quarkes when running LD 2008 or 2009 in training sessions.

Since staying on LD07 doesn't sound like an option if we're upgrading to Windows 7, I wanted to see if anyone had been using LD 09 in production, as opposed to just training environments, what their experience has been & suggestions for other alternatives if Windows 7 & LD 2009 is really a bad combo.

Thanks in advanced

Welcome to the forums!

I've been using LDC 2009 in a production environment for +/-17 months.

The first few months were tough. However, we installed all three LDC software updates, and the Raster 'Solid Fill' hotfix, and have not had any issues with the platform since.

We're in the process of phasing out LDT 2006, and implementing C3D 2011. We will be maintaining LDC 2009 for about another +/-18 months, then phase it out as well.

Between versions 2007-2009 there were very little (if any) improvements to the 'land' functionality. However, the interface was dramatically improved, and introduced users to the Ribbon, and Action Recorder. Simple enhancements such as the PublishCollate variable, and the LayerState-* functions added/exposed to the ActiveX COM API, were fantastic for our standards automation.

Hope this helps!

Hi RenderMan!

Thanks for the reply! That does help a ton! Out of curiosity, what hardware & OS are you running?

Thanks again!

Out of curiosity, what hardware & OS are you running?

We've recently upgraded all of our hardware in preparation for our Windows 7 (64) implementation.

What I previously had was:

• Dell Precision 390
  • Intel single-core 2.4Ghz
  • 2GB DDR3 RAM
  • ATI 256Mb Video Card
  • Windows XP Pro

We've recently upgraded all of our hardware in preparation for our Windows 7 (64) implementation.

Ahh...and how about now? What are y'all running in prep for Windows 7?

Dell Precision M4500 15.3" Laptop, Intel Core i7 (Quad core) @ 2.67GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 1GB NVIDIA Quadro FX M880M, Windows XP Pro. Same dual monitors.

Production workstations will be upgraded to 8GB DDR3 RAM (min), when we roll-out Windows 7 64-Bit. o:)

Edited by BlackBox

• 1 month later...

Ok...I'm back...

I now have my new workstation to start testing...but I ordered Windows 7-64 bit for the advanced memory handling...ummmm...but I'm not able to install Civil 3D 2009 (32 bit). :? Anyone know if there's a way around this? It seems like I've seen mixed reports as to whether or not it'll work.