How did you find the tutorial?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How did you find the tutorial?

• It was the most exciting thing I've read all day
    • Interesting, and I actually learnt something from it
    • I'll be honest, I didn't read it
    • Pretty dull to say the least
    • It sent me to sleep

Just finished writing this tutorial with the aim to provide an overview of the various ways to debug code using the Visual LISP Editor. I've tried to incorporate many facilities of the VLIDE into the tutorial, so excuse me if it seems a tad drawn out in places.

Of course, comments for improvements are welcome, along with the discovery of any typos & mistakes (there are bound to be some!)

http://lee-mac.com/debugvlide.html

Enjoy,

Lee

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee Mac

• The Buzzard

• wimal

• BlackBox

Just finished writing this tutorial with the aim to provide an overview of the various ways to debug code using the Visual LISP Editor. I've tried to incorporate many facilities of the VLIDE into the tutorial, so excuse me if it seems a tad drawn out in places.

Of course, comments for improvements are welcome, along with the discovery of any typos & mistakes (there are bound to be some!)

http://lee-mac.com/debugvlide.html

Enjoy,

Lee

Lee,

I for one am looking forward to reading up on it.

It could save alot of headaches for many here including me.

Thanks for your time and devotion.

Lee,

I couldn't have said it better if I tried.

Cheers! :beer:

I couldn't have said it better if I tried.

Thanks guys!

Great job Lee! I've been using the VLIDE because of its parentheses matching function but I haven't used the other debugging tools covered in your tutorial. As always, thanks!!

Great job Lee! I've been using the VLIDE because of its parentheses matching function but I haven't used the other debugging tools covered in your tutorial. As always, thanks!!

Lonnie,

The next time I see your avatar, You won't be pulling your hair out. Right?

You're very welcome Lonnie, I'm glad you could find it useful. In my opinion when writing LISP the VLIDE is the way to go - no other code editor (that I know of) has anywhere near as many debugging facilities. And even my tutorial only covers a few of them - I haven't even touched on the Trace/Inspect/Apropos functionalities to name a few.

Hopefully my tutorial will 'convert' all those notepad users :)

lol, coincidentally that is the very same avatar I used when I first joined CADTutor :P

Lonnie,

Like "Peggy" says from that Discover Credit Card commercial with Lou Holtz, "You inspire me!"

Lee,

Lonnie must have got alot from your tutorial Lee.

He's not pulling his hair out anymore!

Did you ever consider becomming a hair dresser?

...even my tutorial only covers a few of them - I haven't even touched on the Trace/Inspect/Apropos functionalities to name a few.

I :heart: Apropos!

It (the apropos) is how I 'kept my hair', when first learning of the many wonders of the ActiveX COM API.

I :heart: Apropos!

It (the apropos) is how I 'kept my hair', when first learning of the many wonders of the ActiveX COM API.

Like that old sixties commercial "Only your hair dresser knows for sure."

Anyway I remember Lee giving me instructions one time just like this tutorial and it did make me think then about the possiblities of how much more you could do with Vlide. The thing is getting into the habit of using it and trying to break away from the old habits.

Anyway I remember Lee giving me instructions one time just like this tutorial and it did make me think then about the possibilities of how much more you could do with Vlide. The thing is getting into the habit of using it and trying to break away from the old habits.

Fortunate for me, the help I received when I first started to learn was from veterans like yourself (Buzzard), Alan, RobertB, Lee, RK... to name a small handful. It really did (I believe) make all the difference in the world, for... well now, it will be one year I've been developing in a few months! How you like them apples! :D

I genuinely owe much of my learning so quickly, to those who took the time to point me in the right direction.

Without them, I fear I would still be poking around the developer help, wondering why there are only a handful of VL* functions listed :cry:, lmao! :lol:

Fortunate for me, the help I received when I first started to learn was from veterans like yourself (Buzzard), Alan, RobertB, Lee, RK... to name a small handful. It really did (I believe) make all the difference in the world, for... well now, it will be one year I've been developing in a few months! How you like them apples! :D

I genuinely owe much of my learning so quickly, to those who took the time to point me in the right direction.

Without them, I fear I would still be poking around the developer help, wondering why there are only a handful of VL* functions listed :cry:, lmao! :lol:

Thanks RenderMan,

But I would find that strange if you learn anything from me. You are right of course about learning from some of the veterans here. It was not till I got here at CADTutor that some of my proggramming got better. Lee's site as well is a gem for learning some complicated programming and its getting better all the time.

Hi Lee,

That's just what I needed. I started writing Lisp routines in the 90's but never tried out the VLIDE because it came later (2000 ???), then I moved on to VBA and have done lots of work with it. Now that VBA is about to disappear its a question of where to go next. VB.NET would be the logical next step in the sequence and I've already done some work in that direction. But for everyday bits and pieces and programms that get deployed on various operating systems and versions of AutoCAD I'm going back to LISP. Your tutorial has arrived just at the right point in time for me and I'm going to take a long look at your other tutorials.

A great piece of work.

@ pBe, if I switch off "animate" does that mean I go to sleep?

Lee's site as well is a gem for learning some complicated programming and its getting better all the time.

Thanks Buzzard :)

Nice Lee :)

Watch out for Animate

when you're done dubugging.....:lol:

Ah yes! I couldn't forget that :)

That's just what I needed. I started writing Lisp routines in the 90's but never tried out the VLIDE because it came later (2000 ???), then I moved on to VBA and have done lots of work with it. Now that VBA is about to disappear its a question of where to go next. VB.NET would be the logical next step in the sequence and I've already done some work in that direction. But for everyday bits and pieces and programms that get deployed on various operating systems and versions of AutoCAD I'm going back to LISP. Your tutorial has arrived just at the right point in time for me and I'm going to take a long look at your other tutorials.

A great piece of work.

Thanks Tyke, I really appreciate it. I know exactly what its like trying to break out of a language you know quite well and start something new - I've been meaning to focus on other languages (.NET really is the way to go) for a while now - but its difficult being back in the situation in which you don't quite know what you're doing, and from there it is very easy to slip back into your comfort zone.

Good luck though - and of course, if you have any questions, just ask.

Lee

Don't we all - I remember when I first started learning it, it was members like ASMI, CAB (to name a few) pointing me in the right direction.