sheet metal notch?!?!

rdharvey

I have produced a sheet metal part, i have done everything i need so far except a notch that needs to be kind of pressed into the product. Can anyone help on how i can do this? find attached image and model.

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

thanks

BS-UCL.zip

Before I get to the main problem - I would simplify the first sketch using equal = and colinear constraints rather than duplicate dimensions. There was one dimension that looked kind of fishy?

Do you have any experience with creating Inventor Punch tools?

Sketch2 is not constrained. As this part appears symmetrical I would have sent the Contoured Flange mid-plane to make use of symmetry about the origin - I try to avoid work - this would have simplified the part.

Sketch1.png

i have only used the sheet metal function a few times so no I'd say im not. As for the sketch i know i need to go back and change dims and constraints, this was just a test to ensure it would work.

I am unsure about how to approach the punch as it gave me a warning saying the sketch needs to be on the face where as i had sketched on the plane. hmmm :/

I am unsure about how to approach the punch as it gave me a warning saying the sketch needs to be on the face where as i had sketched on the plane. hmmm :/

Is it important to you for this part to Flatten, or do you just need the finished model (the latter would be easier as it wouldn't require the creation of a Punch tool).

it needs to be flattened as it is going to be produced at a metal formers and they need the sheet pattern for material sizing etc.

I have changed my sketch and got rid of duplicate dimensions.

Regards,

Rob

... it is going to be produced at a metal formers and they need the sheet pattern for material sizing etc.

Rob

Most of them only want the finished size - they figure out the flat dimensions based on their processes. (bend allowance calculations)

This is a tricky area sometimes communicating with outside vendors. In-house you can work with your shop floor people to develop and maintain bend allowance standards/charts. Externally - I think I would provide only the finished dimensions (especially on something this simple) unless they specifically state they want you to also supply the flat pattern drawing.

im going of previous drawings that have been sent off to them and they usually prefer to have drawings of both folded and flat.

It would be nice if i could get them in house but sadly we are not able to :(