Tip of the Day

Lee Mac

I've posted an earlier version of this in the past, but decided to update the code and provide a proper write-up.

Designed as a bit of fun, the program will allow you to create your own custom Tip of the Day messages, which will be randomly selected and displayed once each day.

Whether it's used to constructively provide help for AutoCAD users, or merely provide a funny message for each day - I leave it up to you :)

Have fun with it!

Lee

Code is available here - if you have any questions about how to set it up, let me know.

Yup, i remember that thread. you use the system variable 'Date for random selection, I was thinking of the same thing back then, generate the tips from a external file but not the part with calculated but random range .very creative :)

:thumbsup:

Yup, i remember that thread. you use the system variable 'Date for random selection, I was thinking of the same thing back then, generate the tips from a external file but not the part with calculated but random range .very creative :)

I'll be honest, that algorithm for calculating a pseudo-random number has been around for a while, but thanks for your kind comments :)

I guess i havent been around the world of programming and math to know that :)

Pseudo-random number is new and all greek to me. thank you for information

Math & Numbers will be the death of me. :lol:

Pseudo-random number is new and all greek to me. thank you for information

Well, I say 'pseudo-random' as the numbers generated are just function of the seed. But then, its nigh impossible to generate a true random.

Thanks Lee for the code! I think I will use it for a mix of business and pleasure to inform users of new modifications to AutoCAD and to hopefully inspire them to show I'm trying to make their jobs a little easier.

Thanks Lee for the code! I think I will use it for a mix of business and pleasure to inform users of new modifications to AutoCAD and to hopefully inspire them to show I'm trying to make their jobs a little easier.

You're welcome Lonnie - enjoy it!

Dear Sir,

Thx for Sharing

Nice Lisp, Very Use Full for me because in my office some person west of paper.

His print mail & every thing. Lost lot of trees.

how can i load in statrup this lisp

See attched i download @ augi

i thing use full for u upgrade the tip.lsp

GoGreen.lsp

• 4 months later...

Lee,

I cannot get this to run.

In vanilla ACAD 2010, I did a manual appload. A tip appeared.

I then tried to run the lisp from the acad command line (not sure...is the lisp command "Tip!" ?). Nothing. Tried manual appload again...no tip this time.

Added the lisp to the startup suite and restarted autocad....no tip.

I'm also using ACA 2011....could not get the lisp to do anything there.

I've got the lisp files located in my support path.

Suggestions? Thank you.

Lee,

I then tried to run the lisp from the acad command line (not sure...is the lisp command "Tip!" ?). Nothing. Tried manual appload again...no tip this time.

Suggestions? Thank you.

Hi Elmoleaf,

This program is a 'Tip of the Day' hence the tip will only appear once a day, try loading it again tomorrow :)

Lee,

Suggestions? Thank you.

Hi Elmoleaf,

This program is a 'Tip of the Day' hence the tip will only appear once a day, try loading it again tomorrow :)

This has to be one of the sincerest, yet funny exchanges I've read all day. LoL

So if I restart autocad, I won't get another tip as long as it's the same calendar day?

I was hoping to have something come up every time autocad is started, rather than just once a day.

Actually, I first tested it on ACA 2011, where it didn't work.

My second effort was on ACAD 2010, where it gave a tip one time.

Thanks.

So if I restart autocad, I won't get another tip as long as it's the same calendar day?

Correct - 'Tip of the Day'

I was hoping to have something come up every time autocad is started, rather than just once a day.

I figured this would get annoying, plus it wouldn't be a 'Tip of the Day' :)

Regarding random number generators I have been randomly buying lottery tickets for years and never won, anybody know of a better algorithm.

LOL

Regarding random number generators I have been randomly buying lottery tickets for years and never won, anybody know of a better algorithm.

LOL

Don't spend it on lottery tickets.