Trying to Run R14 in Windows 7 ..... 32bit - Fatal Error

dswinty

I am trying to set up AC R14 in W7. Evidently this has been accomplished by changing a dll, inserting some other files, and changing permissions. Below is an outline that seems to work for people. This from an autodesk forum, but I could not find any info on this new error. I made the changes, but now I am getting a Fatal Error: Unhandled exception at .... The program opens up and I can open a drawing, but as soon as I execute a command the error comes up and it crashes.

The reason I am trying this is because I have a structural program I use all the time that is only written for R14. I do not have XP compatibilty. My system has plenty of ram and hard disk space.

"Hey all! 1st,,, let me Thank all of you whom has contributed to this thread. I don't care to upgrade, I just like 14 version. But, like all of you here, couldn't get it to work in Vista. I only signed up here ( just to give something back) to write this and to make it a lot easilier for others to get this to work, without reading 13 pages of everybody's input. I'm going to try and make this easy and painless.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................

You can not fresh install to Vista 64. It must be copied from another hard drive via thumbdrive or you should be able to just copy file to a CD, than copy to Vista folder you just created. ( I have a dual boot Vista / XP which made this very easy )

Once this is copied to your Vista machine, put the Autocad file in your Program Files (NOT x86).

....................................................................................................................................................................................

Instruction to get AutoCad 14 version to work in Vista 64:

All the new files you will need, I have attached below.

Download them, save them to your desktop.( Had to put all 3 files together and .Zip. Cant upload separately)

Browse to your Autocad, find SH31W32.DLL, it will be in the main Autocad folder, if you can't find it, just do a search.

Copy this file and save it. After it is saved somewhere else on your machine, remove it from the Autocad folder.

The 3 files you downloaded,,,, GDIFONT3.HDI,,,,,HEIDI3.DLL,,,,,,SH31W32.DLL need to be placed inside the main Autocad folder, (must unzip them 1st) the same place you removed the SH31W32.DLL file. That it!! Find your Autocad .EXE file (same folder, Red Icon)

right click on it and make a shortcut icon to your desktop. Close that all out. Click on your new Autocad icon and

Wha LA!

I take NO CREDIT for the above. I just happen to put all YOUR information together to make it easily for YOU.

Thanks again for all who help me get this to work on my computer.

Attachments: icon_attachment.png cad files new.zip 262 KB"

Would appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Dswinty

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• AriaMehr

• RobDraw

• dswinty

Unless someone has done it and/or they have r14 and Win7 just hanging around to try it I'm doubtful you'll get much help. I hope for your sake I am wrong.

Yes, people claim to have done this. But if they have they are in the minority and getting good factual information AND assistance is going to test your patience.

I've gone back as far as 2004 on a computer running Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. A couple people here have tried it and failed. I don't know why it worked for me and not for them. You may find yourself in the same situation. Everyone's system is different. The software and hardware permutations make trying to duplicate some tasks insanely frustrating.

• 1 year later...

I have been running 14 for 6 months now with no issues. I previously failed to get it to work in a 64 bit version and gave up. I then bought a netbook with win 7 starter 32 bit and was able to get access 97 to work which also would not work in a 64 bit version. So I guessed it had something to do with 32/64 or the simpler version of windows. I then ordered a dell with win 7 pro 32 bit and have been able to run access 7 and acad 14 with no issues. Used the factory install disk and have not done any file / dll changes. Cant remember doing anything other that telling it to run as a win 95 program and I believe I had to mess with permissions. I will provide and screen shots any doubters may want to see.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you dswinty!

I have been fighting with R14 on my newer W7 32-bit machine and have been unsuccessful because of a heap error. Your solution may have been focused on Vista but it worked great for me.

Thank you for putting in the effort and making it easy for others to implement.

Have you tried to run it on a Virtual Machine (XPmode) in Windows 7? This is a 32bit version of XP that runs in Windows 7 64-bit. I have several programs that I have to run this way because they will not run on a 64-bit machine.

• 1 year later...

Dswinty7, it totally worked for me too just now!! My dad had an oldddddd windows xp, and so I got him a new computer. All the new computers have windows 8 (bleh) on them and I couldn't even get his AutoCadR14 CD to install on it due to windows 8 64-bit being incompatible with the AC14's 16-bit requirements.

I insisted that my dad just get with the times and get an autocad that was more modern and updated, but he insisted that he HAD to have this old version. I know absolutely nothing about Autocad so forgive me if this was a blasphemous suggestion ;)

So...after browsing for forever, I read that some people had success using AC14 on a Windows 7 with 32-bit. I hassled and returned the windows 8, got a refurbished computer with windows 7, successfully installed AutoCad, opened it up in sheer excitement!....only to discover that dreadful heap error pop-up as soon as I moved the mouse to do anything.

After hours of digging through google search and finding dead ends, I found this thread! I was skeptical because all the other solutions I found were unsuccessful.

But it worked! The .zip file was so convenient and your easy step by step instructions saved me!

Sorry for the long, unnecessary ramble, but your thread helped me out tremendously! my dad is super happy, all is well with the universe. Thank you so much!!!

• 5 months later...

ReMark, I have r14 and two computers. One with w/32-bit and another w/64-bit system respectively. I was getting the Heap Error as well and I couldn't stand to pass up the opportunity to try the deletion of one file and the addition of three as contained in the zip file. I conducted the experiment on my 32-bit System where the r14 was loaded but badly misbehaving.

Couldn't believe my eyes when I opened my r14 Software and it performed with excellence! :shock:

]

• 11 months later...
ReMark,

Couldn't believe my eyes when I opened my r14 Software and it performed with excellence! :shock: ]

http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/15/30071/1/cad%20files%20new.zip

I know this is an old thread, but........

I had the same problem.

I use ACAD 14 and it works just fine for my purposes.

I have maintained an XP machine just to use it, but it gets more and more cumbersome as we use new printers and drivers are not available.

You all know.

I tried the fix listed above after getting the "Fatal Heap Error" And it DOES work.

New install off of original disk.

Activated fine.

Tried running under compatibility mode, but got the Fatal Heap.

Deleted the SH31W32.DLL file.

Inserted the 3 GDIFONT3.HDI,,,,,HEIDI3.DLL,,,,,,SH31W32.DLL files, and YES!

Seems to be running fine.

Thank You.

• 5 months later...

i do all above work

and run autocad R14 in windows 7 64 bit

but multi line text And Render and Match prop and Text Style Manager and Tutorial Cant load

but in my windows98 Se they work fine

I copy all autocad R14.00 reg key from my windows 98 and use it in windows 7 but not changes happend

In preference i correct (help / support / and ... ) folder for example "c:\progra~1\Autoc~1\" i change it to "c:\program file\Autocad R14\"

but the above command dident work

When i load render.arx by load application render command start to work but next time i run autocad i have to load it again

or when i load Tutorial.lsp by load application quick tour and whats new in help menu start working but next time i run autocad i have to load it again

What can I DO for that ???

You could save yourself a whole lot of time and effort and upgrade to a new version of AutoCAD.

I also have Autocad 2000 & 2005 & 2007 & 2015

But I like to run Autocad R14 in windows 7 and 80% i am successful but there is a few error

Is there any way to solve them and render command and multi line text command start working in َAutocad R14 ?

i think acadr14.lsp cant load automatically at start up or loading from other location because i add some codes in it to load tutorial.lsp but it didnt load automatically after i load acadr14.lsp manually tutorial start working .

There is no reason to be running R14 in Win7 if you have AutoCAD 2015. It makes absolutely no sense.

Thanks for comment

i really interested in classic things

for example

i use windows classic theme with win98 old icons and old start menu in my core

I5 Laptop windows7

instead of that i have a Pentium one Computer with windows 98

and a 386DX100 Computer with MS-DOS 6.22 and 5.5inch floppy drive

My car is 1970 Mercedes Benz 280S W108 and etc.

I Know They are not Necessary for live today But i just love old things

And I'm guessing you still have your old 1969 RCA Home Entertainment Center - New Vista Color TV (the Brandywine HM-813 model) too. Good for you. You aren't in dire straights like a few hardy souls still scratching out a living on outdated hardware with an equally outdated program so I think I'm going to pass. I will give you this one piece of advice: Longbow. Look it up. Do you still have a six pack of Cremo beer from 1955?

And I'm guessing you still have your old 1969 RCA Home Entertainment Center - New Vista Color TV (the Brandywine HM-813 model) too. Good for you. You aren't in dire straights like a few hardy souls still scratching out a living on outdated hardware with an equally outdated program so I think I'm going to pass. I will give you this one piece of advice: Longbow. Look it up. Do you still have a six pack of Cremo beer from 1955?

Really thanks

I found it

that is great But that is not free

if i cant solve problems by own I'll try it .

excuse me i drank them with my friends last night If you told me earlier kept one of them for you . just kidding

if you want see my windows98 theme project you can visit this link http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/379191-how-do-i-move-windows-7-explorer-address-bar-under-toolbar-menubar.html