Loosing added hyperlinks when plot to PDF

Grenco

Hi there,

When I a have a drawing with items wich contain hyperlinks. They work perfect in autocad. Also in DWF they work great! But when I plot to PDF. The items are not clickable.

I guess this is a "problem" with the PDF plotter. Do you guys know wich PDF plotter CAN recognize hyperlinks and put's them on the PDF.

Anyone who uses PDF Creator plus 5.0?

• 1 month later...

Anyone idea's?

I've found someone who had the same problem:

http://forums.cadalyst.com/showthread.php?t=4905

But he had the option to use Trueview. I don't. I want to give the PDF to a customer. The customer can click on the PDF for more specs of a component.

PDF is much more used over the world then dwf! Most of our customers won't have administrator rights on their computers and won't be able to install trueview/design review.

Do you have the latest Adobe Reader? Not that it matters.

All plotting to PDF from AutoCAD does is create something akin to a paper plot. You wouldn't expect to walk over to plotted drawing, press your finger on some text and go to your hyperlink would you?

You will need some other program to do this with a PDF file search around, but Adobe Acrobat Full should do it.

Personally, I would send the DWFs and a link to DWG Trueview, if these customers need to view drawings with hyperlinks then they need to grow up and put on the Big Boy britches and get the appropriate programs.

If not, send the PDFs and put the links in the Email body.

Edited by SLW210

I have version 9.4.1 for the reader.

I don't know why there is nothing to find about this. It's super handy to create a interactive user manual from a drawing!

I don't agree ReMark. If you look to word documents printed to PDF you get an interactive index wich navigates to a chapter or a website.

Also, when you insert a PDF in a drawing (and your PDF is digitaly created) you can catch snappoints from it!

So it's more then a pretty picture! The only pretty picture is a picture with a pretty woman on it! ;)

The PDF file format was originally created as a way to share documents, not drawings, between word processing programs. Yes, they work great when used as originally intended. The CAD community is trying to bend them to fit their needs and we start complaining when PDFs don't act or print the way we want. We created the monster that now threatens to diminish the importance of using a real drawing.

I don't agree ReMark. If you look to word documents printed to PDF you get an interactive index wich navigates to a chapter or a website.

Also, when you insert a PDF in a drawing (and your PDF is digitaly created) you can catch snappoints from it!

So it's more then a pretty picture! The only pretty picture is a picture with a pretty woman on it! ;)

Did you create those with Adobe Reader? All of these things you are saying about PDFs are NOT things you can do with Adobe Reader. You will have to purchase software or go the DWF route. The later function to snap to PDFs is provided by Autodesk.

SLW210,

I've tried DWG to PDF (from autodesk?), PDF-Creator (+5.0) and I also had Adobe Proffesional installed but they all didn't have any effect!

What do you guys know about DWFx, XPS compatible. XPS is a good alternative for PDF right? It's standard on Vista, Windows 7.

I tried a DWFx ePlot and I couldn't open it with XPS-viewer.

Suggestions?