What's the best way to set up multiple drawings from one floor plan?

tlambert

I am working on setting up a standard in my office for CAD. We use floorplans that consistently change due to client demands, site re-measure, etc. Basically we lay down an existing plan from either site measurements or current plans, next a demolition plan goes on top, then a "new" floorplan, then electrical.

The problem we are running into is if these are each seperate plans then changes sometimes get missed - so i thought if we made the layers more appropriate (ie "existing wall", "new wall") it would solve the problem, but now when we plot there are always issues with the wrong layers remaning (ie an "existing wall" remains and should become a "new wall" but cannot have two different layers to plot in two different layouts....

Any suggestions of how to set up the system so that we can have changing layers but everything will still plot on the appropriate page?

THANKS!

Do you have/use layering standards?

Do you make use of Xrefs?

Do you make use of sheet sets?

Is everyone using LT or a combination of full AutoCAD and LT?

so if you have your layers in modelspace, and your different drawings on separate layouts, why can't you have non-plot layers according to what the titlebox for your layout sheet says it is?

that way, if it's left in accidentally whilst plotting, it isn't going to show anyway

I am working on setting up a standard in my office for CAD. We use floorplans that consistently change due to client demands, site re-measure, etc. Basically we lay down an existing plan from either site measurements or current plans, next a demolition plan goes on top, then a "new" floorplan, then electrical.

The problem we are running into is if these are each seperate plans then changes sometimes get missed - so i thought if we made the layers more appropriate (ie "existing wall", "new wall") it would solve the problem, but now when we plot there are always issues with the wrong layers remaning (ie an "existing wall" remains and should become a "new wall" but cannot have two different layers to plot in two different layouts....

Any suggestions of how to set up the system so that we can have changing layers but everything will still plot on the appropriate page?

THANKS!

I will try to explain how I used to do those tings when working with existing building.

The existing wall - which are to be demolished will go in wall-demolish layer which will have dashed linetype.

The existing wall - which are to be remained as part of new wall - will go in layer called 'wall'

the new wall - will go in the the layer named 'wall-proposed'

so when you are setting up the viewport for demolishan plan you will have 'wall' & 'wall-demolished layer unfreezed.

for a proposed floor plan - you will ahve 'wall' & 'wall proposed layer unfreezed'

I used to do this when i was using 2005. but in newer versions now there isa facilty it is availbale in 2008 LT also. where as you can change the colour or line type of the layers in particular viewports so that same layer can apper differently in different viewports.

look at this thread where i have explained how to do it. http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26783

Also to add to that set up different layer syates & save it as named layer states, as how you need them in different layout. and apply them in viewports accordingly that way you can have everything on in modle spave & whe you print from layout you don't need to remeber what to switch of in which layout.

we have specific layers for each thing we need to show - interior existing wall, interior new wall, etc. - if thats what you mean by layering standards...

we do not use xrefs

im not sure what sheet sets are - so no i dont think we use them

and everyone is using autocad lt

any suggestions?

we do have each viewport on each seperate page set up to only show what we want to print but the problem is that an existing wall may actually change into a new wall or even be deleted in general then if i change the layer on the line it wont show in the existing - basically how do you assign more than one layer to a line or object?

I suggest you take a look at your AutoCAD Help file and read the topic "Override Layer Properties in Viewports". Click on the Index tab and type in the following keywords exactly as shown:

object properties, layer defaults

Read what you see on the Concept tab first. It may be of some use to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say xrefs is definitely the way to go here. The way I do it here is to have one file for the floorplan, complete with notes and all annotations, then say you want to do a reflected ceiling plan: in a new drawing, go to your xref manager (Menu pulldown or type XREF) and load in that original floorplan, turn off all the non-applicable layers (text, notes, maybe doors, etc) and add your ceiling grid and new notes right on top of that. If you say, change the size of a room, upon changing it in your original floorplan it then get's changed in every other drawing that xrefs that floor plan. Then the only thing you need to do in your reflected ceiling plan is adjust the grid, then walls will already have been moved. I would have a terrible headache if I tried to do a project without x-refs.

• 1 month later...

Would also suggest using xrefs... This would allow all layers to be shown in the xref file. Once attached, you can freeze unwanted layers and have mulitple viewports on one sheet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How would "copy object to new layer" work, new layer similarly named with number suffix, and all such layers grouped in a "layers on for revision"..........?