Linking attributes to excel to autopopulate

matthewhagwood

I have read many posts about linking attributes with excel files but have yet been able to receive any help with what i'm trying to do, so any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm an engineer that works for a company that designs offshore drilling platforms. Currently i am generating panel termination sheets (image attached) and i have to generate one for every junction box but i have several to do (several 100). What i want to do is link my excel junction box schedule (image attached) and set up my attributes in such a way that i input the originating or terminating device and the rest of the attributes auto populate based on my excel sheet. For example (view attached image as reference), i want to input "s-t4630", then i want my cable size (3x2.5mm2), and my cable id (t46-el-2005-01) to generate.

REFERENCE IMAGES.zip

I think the only way to do that will be to use Visual Lisp as you can call a spreadsheet and read the lines you need to populate your attribute files. Probably too complex for fields.

Maybe this post needs to be moved to the Lisp section

Could you attach a sample DWG & XLS? I'm thinking you might be able to use the Express tools AttIn command if you rearrange the columns in Excel, then copy onto the TXT file generated with AttOut, then run the AttIn to import the text file into the attributes.

But if it's more complex than that Grant's idea is probably your best solution.

Im not that fluent in programming language, (still learning). How would i approach creating an visual lisp that would assist in my situation?