NEW USER... modeling existing run.. issues with connecting sloped pipe

DIW_HDsupply

Gentlemen & Ladies

I am modeling a run of pipe we had shop drawings on. I am learning to use the software. I have two sections of pipe that have no slope. The section of pipe connecting the two is sloped, furthermore.. there will be fittings along this sloped section at given distances. I can't get the pipe to connect. I.E. I get a triangle with " ! " there are other issues in the file, but at this point my primary concern is building a model with all the pipe connecting.

wanted to post one zipped file but seem to have a 250 kb max

attachments double zipped to achieve 250 KB file size (4 zips to 1 zip to one file)

all and any suggestions appreciated

file01.zip

file02.zip

file03.zip

file04.zip

I can't unpack the files all at once to view. If you need free online space, sign up at http://www.dropbox.com/ for 2GB of free space, put the file in the "Public" directory, and create a link to copy/paste in this thread.

I'm pretty certain your issue is very simple but I would like to see the files first if I can.

I know it's a pain, but if you unzipp each of the files and move the extracted files to one folder... then try to unpack the 4 resulting files it should work.. if the 4 files are in the same directory, and you have winzip, winrar, or another extractor available you should be albe to righht click and choose extract here...

unfortuantly for now.. it's my only option

I have an FTP option but that can be more complicated...

Okay, I see what you're trying to do. I don't know your procedure or technique, so I'll explain how I do it. See if this yields better results for you and post back if you need more help.

What I do is while I'm in plan view and running my pipe, I type S for Slope at the command line, and manually set my value here, run my length of pipe, then type S for Slope again to set it back. From there, I'll do my adjusting where needed. This produces an un-sloped pipe run. From there, I typed PIPEFITTINGADD then clicked the Part picture on the Properties palette to bring up the "Select a Part" dialog box. Under "Type" I chose Coupling, "Subtype" I chose Undefined, then in the catalog I went to Ductile Iron Pipe > Mechanical Joint - Plain End > Mechanical Coupling. Under "Filter by Dimensions" I chose 42".

All you do is hit F3 to toggle off the OSNAPS, so that only MEP Snaps are on. Make sure OSNAPZ is toggled off as well. (Little icon to the bottom right of the interface, next to the Elevation Offset value. Has a Z on the icon with a light bulb.) This will allow you to snap in fittings directly on the pipe without hassle.

See if this works for you in a better way. Post back up any more issues or questions you might have.

*EDIT* You'll love DropBox. Awesome, fun, and free. :)

*EDIT #2* Also a quick tip.... Once I run slope, I like to edit it in a Elevation View. A quick way to do this is to use the View Cube to select the Front view. Once you're in Front View, type UCS at the Command Line, then type V for View. This sets the UCS to the current view, allowing you to easily edit the pipe in a elevation view for adjusting the length of the slope or the heights of the level pipe. That's how I do things anyway.

I'll run through it first thing in the morning and repost. If you take a look back at the file the pipe is running at almost perfect 90's 45's and 22.5's... this is not how the engineering team drew it.... they factored in deflection... a portion of the pipe is parallel to the northern site boarder. another is perpendiculare to the centeline of the street. I want to mirror what they did. I will do your method first and then try again straying away from perfect angles. I have set elevations and positions for several of the tee's and bends. While I know they will not be dead on in the field, they will be close, as I know pipe is checked with a survey team befor they bury it, I want to make sure what i draw is possilble... if you look at my cross sections you will see in the " ! " areas.. pipe was not working I adjusted the pipe to fit, and it was beyond standard deflexion. Again, I will try you method I may just need to have more precision with my slope calculations. If I'm off on my elevations by less than a 10th of an inch i think that will suffice. again.. i'm not calling out the slope, just want to match the engineers design as close as possible with true fitting sizes and components.

I ran your method and while it works, I just could not get the the sloped pipe to end up at the correct elevation. Some how it's a matter of correctly calculating slope. If I were a designer, I do not think this would be an issue as I would run the pipe where I want to. It's like the legal burdon to prove inocents... I did find a work around.. i drew a line from connection point to connection point, and aligned it to the X axis. I drew the pipe along that axis, and used the align command to put it in the pipe assembly. The first time I did this it worked, the second time i had to elevate the final piece of pipe to the target elevation. The resulting aligned pipe had a different slope than what I calculated, but once in place i could delete pieces and run the pipe from the first one to the point of inserting a fitting/component. It seems once the slope was locked in, I had no difficulties. I have since redone it over again using the servey points and not using perfect 90's 45's and 22.5's. You can view the resulting file. I am not finished as i need to add several components to the above ground flanged piping, but this is much further along.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20790817/testing8.dwg

The next step will be creating "Data Styles" that will populate a schedule... (It will be a new thread)

Some how it's a matter of correctly calculating slope.

Do you not have access to this formula? Any of your field guys know how to do this, or does your company have an in-house engineer that can help? I figured the slope would be on the engineered documents.

Do you not have access to this formula? Any of your field guys know how to do this, or does your company have an in-house engineer that can help? I figured the slope would be on the engineered documents.

It is on the plans but it is not correct, there are other items that superseed that notation like the finalized elevation of the suction header, and the revised elevation of the connection to the utilities in the street... so I had to calculate it. It seems very simple rise/run but it is the start and end point and conversion from 1.00 ft and 1'-0" that seem to cause issues. The way the drawing is now is the closest I can get to the engineers design maintaining horizontal distances between points and locating fittings per the horizontal control sheet.

If i run whith their origional slope nothing connects and it looks very strange. In the vertical sections.

Sounds like a possible RFI.... as usual. haha 8)

I am lucky enough at this time to be working on just learning MEP. This job has already been bid sold and constructed. I am simply using the data as a "real world" simulation, and learning MEP. But what I have is what I have. If data is missing then i have to create it, and be creative at that.

I want to move on to my next thread, but i have just recieved the books mentioned befor, and I want to start delving into those.