Why cant I shell my pig!!!

digger2307

hey guys, im trying to make a pig torch and managed to get a solid body made for the lower half of the body (shell). the major problem im having is shelling the body from the flat surface ontop. It keeps coming up with an undifined error and cant find how to fix it. Anyone who can help I will be forever thankful. :?

body bottom1.jpg

p.s. sorry I dunno how to upload a .ipt file here :cry:

[EDIT] part is now on.

body bottom1.zip

body bottom.jpg

Edited by digger2307
adding file.

Find the red End of Part marker in the browser.

Drag the EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features in the graphics window.

Save the file with the EOP in a rolled up state.

In Windows Explorer right click on the file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

right I keep getting this message. "modeling failure in asm. redefine inputs". Im currently working on the top half of the model, which is like the bottom but has a larger extrusion on the main body, and when i try and fillet the body to make it rounded like the bottom, I am getting this asm error message again. Inventor is gonna brake me.

in the zip file on the 1st post? I followed you instructions and it is showing the file insip the .zip on my computer :?

OK, now I see it - I was expecting to be attached to the reponse.

I would start by reading this document - I noticed that none of your sketches were constrained among other problems

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

also iProperties says Inventor 2010 but your profile indicates 2011?

OK, now I see it - I was expecting to be attached to the reponse.

I would start by reading this document - I noticed that none of your sketches were constrained among other problems

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

also iProperties says Inventor 2010 but your profile indicates 2011?

yeah ive got both on my laptop, have to use 2010 for uni work though.

I looked at my sketched and the sketches have constraints in them. But each time I shell this is what comes up...

pig error.jpg

so I looked up the error on google and it sent me to autodesk site with the method to resolve this. So when I done as directed by the Autodesk site I ended up with this...

error.jpg

Im going into Uni on Monday, gonna open the parts on a university computer and see if I can make it work there.

I had a go at the shell command on your zip file and also got the same error,so i took a diferent route.

I simply clicked delete face and then thickened the result to the inside, you get much the same result.

pig.jpg

I looked at my sketched and the sketches have constraints in them.

Having some constraints - and being fully constrained aren't the same thing.

And you could simplify using symmetry - read the document I referrenced.

So after you advice calibos i then took to working on the top shell of my pig, but its giving me even mroe unknown errors. So I thought ide throw together the pieces I have which have came out as below.

full assembly.jpg

so yeah Ill attach the top shell in a .zip below aswell. Im in uni tomorrow so if one of my lecturers are about I will ask his advice on why its not doing what its told. Thanks again calibos, and JD I am still rpetty new to inventor and am not at ur jedi master ways, I am a mear entry level padiwan and only time will help develope my skills.

body top.zip

So, I got started on the top, and voila turns out the reason I cant shell the top is the ears. So Ive amde the body without the ears, the image below shows my ears and the path, however i need them to fall ontot he body and not continue through. When I try using sweep with guide surface I get slammed with errors again. Any suggestions? (Inventor Y U NO make ears!!!).

body top.jpg

I have the assembly of the parts without ears... in space!!! (yes its childish but if you cant laugh what can you do?)

space pig.jpg

helpful methods of making the ears are welcome.

Looks pretty good.

Workaround for the ears to follow:

Thicken/offset the terminating face as a Surface body 0 distance.

Sweep the ears, but select the New Solid option.

(At the top of the browser you should have a folder that now says Solid Bodies (3) expand the folder and turn off the visibilty of the original solid).

Sculpt-Remove using the surface body to cut away the unwanted portion of the ears.

Turn the visibility of the original body back on and Combine the original body to the ears.

If you can't figure it out attach your file here.

The Piggy is now complete. I tried the method you were on about JD but with no avail, think its my lack of experience with Inventor. Also sussed out the bottom half aswell and got it to sheel when I done sertain parts in a different order. Silly inventor doing things all funny. but anyway thought you would all like a look at the completed piggy torch.

full render 1.jpg

topless render.jpg

no doubt you cats will hear from me again about another daft project.:shock: