• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• deano33

• RobDraw

• khoshravan

• nestly

Layer Delete (LAYDEL)

Use at your own peril :P

Does it have the same effect as deleting from "layer properties manager"?

I have copied a file and use it for my new project. Now there are unnecessary layers where I want to delete them. I tried to do it from "layer properties manager" but it gives following error message:

The selected layer was not deleted.

The following layers cannot be deleted:

Layers 0 and Defpoints

The current layer

Xref-dependent layers

Layers containing objects

In my new file I don't use any object of previous file and I have deleted all objects from old file so it is logical to delete all X-ref and their layer.

I want to know how can I delete Xref-related layers?

As you know that we can't delete defpoint and 0 layer... so if you want to delete x-ref dependent layer first you have to convert all x-ref dependent layer into 0 layer and than purge over all drawing.... now you can eliminate all x-ref dependent layer....

Layer Delete (LAYDEL)

Use at your own peril :P

I come across following solution using Layiso command

Layiso is a good way to see the content of one layer at a time. But when I lunch this command it asks to select an object.

I want to know does it have an option to address a layer name instead of selecting an object? All these tricks is a way to see if a layer is empty or not.

Is the layer unresolved? If so, click the Unresolved layers tab in the left panel of the Layers Manager window, right click on it, resolve it, layiso delete all contents on it, then jsut delete the layer as normal.

• 1 year later...

Have same problem. Had drawing with wref bound. Saved as new drawing to save title block & setup. Removed xref so can insert xref of next floor. Cannot remove the existing xref layers. Any ideas?

I come across following solution using Layiso command

Layiso is a good way to see the content of one layer at a time. But when I lunch this command it asks to select an object.

I want to know does it have an option to address a layer name instead of selecting an object? All these tricks is a way to see if a layer is empty or not.

Try using LAYWALK to browse through your layers. It is really easy, you scroll down the layer list with your keyboard arrows. You can also find it on your Layers2 toolbar, a great tool.

It sounds like you may have deleted the XREF but did not detach it. After detaching, you should be able to purge all the XREF dependent layers.

Once the xref is detached, the layers *should* disappear, without need of purge.

The drawing is a nightmare with autocad objects and embedded fonts. Would like to clean up and flatten but only got acad LT. The creator must have serious issues. drawing made up of loads of blocks and xrefs for each apartment and bound them all. Hundreds of layers. Cannot id layers to objects without exploding. Have about an hours work to do on it. Spent 6 hours today and got knowhere trying to get it to editable format. Zoom and pan is jumpy and hangs on I7 8gb hp pc with drawings on local hard drive. What ever happened to keeping it simple with lines, xrefs and blocks. Would be quicker to trace and draw by hand.

Wall hatch is associated with wall lines so cannot freeze off unwanted hatch without individually exploding each wall and manually deleting hatch. Would like to seperate basic outline, flatten and convert to LT 2007 as do not like LT 2012. How do i post the drawing. Not sure if I can legally due to copywright laws without permission.

Thanks for help guys. Panic over. Managed to break the drawing down now. Was a bit of a dirty bomb this one. Wblock previous xrefs out and re insert as xrefs. Breaking it down enabled me to filter out layers and really simplify the drawing. Exploding on the way one at a time allowed me to seperate. Each xref was attached between 3-4 times each making the drawing file massive. Loads of embedded fonts have now been deleted as only need basic building outline. AEC objects and overkill hatch mow removed and flattened. 19mb drawing now less than 1mb and rapid. Have 8 drawings to convert and should now only take me a day to simplify all. My collegue been messing with these for 2 months. Thanks for all your help guys.:D

Sorry Guys. The original drawing was 25mb before initial purge and audit so 25mb down to less tham 1mb. What a result. No data lost except for unwanted dirty embedded fonts and overkill hatch. :D:D:D8)