Custom linetype with text display problem

Hello community!

My love for this forum keeps growing, so here I am again. Today's issue...

I made a custom line type called EX (for existing pipes) which looks a little bit like this:

- - - EX - - - EX - - - EX - - -

Line works great when I draw from left to right. However, when I draw a line from RIGHT to LEFT, the text displays upside down a little bit like this:

- - - X3 - - - X3 - - - X3 - - - ("3" representing the mirror image of "E")

Same applies when drawing from bottom to top, or top to bottom. I totally understand the behavior here, and TBH I think it's OK it behaves that way. But some people at work blablabla... (you know the drill).

Let's say I'm drawing existing water pipes going in all directions with a polyline. Is there a way to make the text display upward no matter what direction the pline is going?:geek:

Thanks

I understand that in 2011 you have the option to set linetype text to Upright, Relative, and Absolute angles. I don't know how to set it since I don't have 2011 yet.

Before 2011, the only way I knew of to fix it was to reverse the lines. For polylines, there's a LISP routine. For lines, I rotate them around the midpoint.

I understand that in 2011 you have the option to set linetype text to Upright, Relative, and Absolute angles.

You are absolutely right about that. I will further investigate, but I'm pretty sure you just put the finger on it! I'll let you guys know.

Thanks CyberAngel,

Instead of setting the rotation parameter to "R=0", all I had to do was use "A=0" instead.

R = relative

A = absolute

Cadtutor : 3

Internets : 0

I made this line:

*EX,EX line ----EX----EX----EX----EX----EX----EX--

A,12.7,-5.08,["EX",STANDARD,S=2.54,R=0,X=-2.54,Y=-1.27],-6.35

It displays fine as it is, but the text is rotated depending on what direction I'm drawing (as I was explaining earlier).

I tried to replace "R=0" for "A=0"

*EX,EX line ----EX----EX----EX----EX----EX----EX--

A,12.7,-5.08,["EX",STANDARD,S=2.54,A=0,X=-2.54,Y=-1.27],-6.35

in order to have my text stay upward no matter what direction I'm drawing. Although it's working, I can find a good combination of X and Y offsets that would keep my text centered with the line. I'm starting to wonder if it's possible at all because right now I feel I'm just wasting my time :unsure: Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Thread is dead, but I have found that in Autocad 2011, there's a new parameter called "U" that can replace the "R" in the bracket section of the line definition.

The following line...

*EX,[G] Existant à conserver ----EX----EX----EX----EX----EX----EX--

A,2,-.254,["EX",STANDARD,S=.127,U=0,X=-.127,Y=-.0635],-.2

...will always display text UPWARDS/in a readable direction. Try it and adopt it ;)

Thread is dead, but I have found that in Autocad 2011, there's a new parameter called "U" that can replace the "R" in the bracket section of the line definition.

The following line...

*EX,[G] Existant à conserver ----EX----EX----EX----EX----EX----EX--

A,2,-.254,["EX",STANDARD,S=.127,U=0,X=-.127,Y=-.0635],-.2

...will always display text UPWARDS/in a readable direction. Try it and adopt it ;)

Thanks, sounds handy.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but maybe someone can help.

I'm using C3D 2012 and using ---W---W---W--- as the linetype for an existing water pipe (as in actual pipe network pipe). I set the linetype within the pipe style which is fine but it comes in upside down. I've tried R=0, U=0 and A=0. Any other ideas??

I'm using C3D 2012 and using ---W---W---W--- as the linetype for an existing water pipe (as in actual pipe network pipe). I set the linetype within the pipe style which is fine but it comes in upside down. I've tried R=0, U=0 and A=0. Any other ideas??

Interesting. Have you tried reversing the flow direction of the pipe object? C3D may draw the pipe based on that.