plot has thick lines not on drawing ?

mlbuxbaum

Hey all,

I completed a drawing for class, and on the screen it looks great. When i go to print it and preview it after centering, picking scale, etc, the preview shows most of the text to be thick. Its like the line weight is wrong or something.Drawing7-1.dwg

i think i have attached the drawing. Let meknow if it doesnt work.

Thanks again.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• mlbuxbaum

• SLW210

• Organic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you assign lineweights to layers in your drawing?

Did you use poylines and give them a width?

Did you check your ctb or stb plot style file?

OK, I took a look at your drawing. I'd forget about printing for the moment. You have far greater problems in the way you did this drawing. How many classes did you skip?

For example, the bottom line of your titleblock might look like a single line but there are actually SIX separate lines, one sitting atop the other. Why is that?

OK, I took a look at your drawing. I'd forget about printing for the moment. You have far greater problems in the way you did this drawing. How many classes did you skip?

For example, the bottom line of your titleblock might look like a single line but there are actually SIX separate lines, one sitting atop the other. Why is that?

you just made my day with that.....I can see the humor in it. Ive only had 3 classes so far. I think i already commented on the quality of my instructor. We had never done any text entering or editing before this last class, then he says you have 30 minutes to complete drawing 7-1.....:shock: The entire class is frustrated with this guy. I was going to drop the class and take it at another college, but now i want to prove to myself that I can do it even if he isnt that of a good teacher. Dont take that staement the wrong way, I am 100% certain that he knows what he is doing, he just lacks the skills to TEACH it. Anyway.....

I will redo the drawing before class on Saturday. Most of what i have learned to do has been by trial and error and this site's tutorials. I started this drawing at the bottom right hand corner and drew almost all the boxes seperately. I was in a rush and should have thought about it more than i did. I new at this.

Here are some other things to work on.

You put everything on Layer 0. I would recommend you set up layers for objects (like linework) and for text.

Some of your text is annotative; some is not. Why?

Some text has a linetype of Hidden. Were you aware of that?

Your viewport scale is 0.4314 which is a bit odd. What scale were you going for?

Your viewport display is not locked. It's way too easy to mess the scale up with it being unlocked.

Your viewports shoud be on their own layer and the layer should be set not to print.

You used one Text Style (Standard) but used a multitude of Font names. Not a good practice.

Here are some other things to work on.

You put everything on Layer 0. I would recommend you set up layers for objects (like linework) and for text. -noted, thank you. I'll give that a shot

Some of your text is annotative; some is not. Why? I wasnt aware of that. I assume it should be standard then?

Some text has a linetype of Hidden. Were you aware of that? -no i wasnt

Your viewport scale is 0.4314 which is a bit odd. What scale were you going for? -not sure, but the drawing is supposed to be 1:2. I will look into that as well

Your viewport display is not locked. It's way too easy to mess the scale up with it being unlocked. - I will look into that too

Your viewports shoud be on their own layer and the layer should be set not to print. - okay

You used one Text Style (Standard) but used a multitude of Font names. Not a good practice. - there were alot of font names, heights and alignments called for on the drawing. Looks like i still have ALOT of things to work on......alot

Thanks for your help. I will redo the entire drawing tonight, and repost it in the morning, if you dont mind.

Further points:

- Text line space factor should be at even rounded numbers say, not 0.4167 etc

- Zoom extents and the 'Drawn By' text appears to be out of place/not in its intended location I imagine

Also my friend when posting here try to save to 2004 so everyone can open it in older versions of autocad (unless it is something that older versions cant do), as not everyone has 2011 like me lol

Either this pupil skipped a few classes or the teacher has no clue. How can someone who has attended class have so many inconsistencies in one small drawing?

Also my friend when posting here try to save to 2004 so everyone can open it in older versions of autocad (unless it is something that older versions cant do), as not everyone has 2011 like me lol

Ok, I was unaware that i could do.

also....dont flame me on this question,please. The drawing is supposed to 4" x 10.75" . I used the measure feature and my drawing is 4" by 10.74" WTF ? Okay is there a very elementary way to correct this? The teacher will measure it with a ruler on paper, so he probably wont pick that up, but i want to fix it. I think i can use the 'stretch" function.

Ive only had 3 classes so far.

Hi there mlbuxbaum. Just wanted to encourage you with the drafting.

I was going to drop the class and take it at another college, but now i want to prove to myself that I can do it even if he isnt that of a good teacher

That's the spirit ! :thumbsup:

Either this pupil skipped a few classes or the teacher has no clue. How can someone who has attended class have so many inconsistencies in one small drawing?

I have not missed a minute of class, we have only had 3 classes so far. and most of the class is lost as well. I wish i could record the class and play it back for you guys. Everyone would be shocked. This guy has a very thick Iranian accent, and his favorite saying is, " you can do it like this or you can do it some another way". There are 2 other guys here at Black & Decker that took this class with the same teacher and they both dropped the class because he is terrible. I am going to the look into the same class at a neighboring college that they both transferred to. I think I'm a fairly intelligent guy and i'm not a young guy either. (42) I am taking classes to get my engineering degree.

Why don't you have someone at Black & Decker visit CADTutor and post a job opening for an AutoCAD teacher.

we dont use AutoCad here, which sucks, becuase i could have some great tutors here if we did. They use a program called Catia (sp), which is my ultimate goal to be able to use.

also, this question has been bugging me. If i draw a rectangle, of any size, does AC have an automatic way to find the center of that rectangle? My teacher said, no you have measure to find it. I would think that a $4000.00 program would be able to do that.

depends on what you mean by the center, for a rectangle, I can snap to the center by clicking 2 opposite corners and having AutoCAD find the midpoint between the 2 points.